PDA

View Full Version : America (The Book) : A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction

IggyWH
01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I hate books and I hate reading with a passion. Today while going to the bank I got caught in a huge downpour and ran into a bookstore for shelter. While I was there I decided to look at the poker books but this was some family bookstore so they didn't have much.

I saw America (The Book) and thought about buying it. I love The Daily Show but I haven't really heard much about the book (except for them plugging the book every night). Has anyone read it? Is it worth buying?

lastchance
01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I have the book. It's good, but it's not "the Daily Show," which is absolutely awesome.

Sooga
01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Overall, it's flat-out hilarious, with some really un-PC stuff that you would expect out of the Daily Show... Some parts are a bit slow and boring, but 90% of the time you'll be laughing out loud, much like I was doing.

SossMan
01-11-2005, 10:14 PM
It's the Daily Show in writing. If you like DS, you'll like the book. Gauranteed.

ClaytonN
01-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Loved DS

Liked the book

CN

IggyWH
01-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I was thinking about ordering a couple books on Amazon tonight. Right now my job has no work at all for me so I just sit there doing nothing for 4 hours a day. I need something to do with my time and figured if someone sees me reading a book, it'll go over a lot better than them seeing me play a gameboy or something like that.

On Amazon, you could buy the audio version of the book. I only figured through the book real quick but it seemed like it had a lot of pictures that would go along with a lot of the comedy in the book. Seems kind of pointless to have an audio version then.

The book is only $15 on Amazon so I figure what the hell...

lastchance
01-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah, some of the pictures are hilarious, and slightly distrubing (heh). And I can't see anyone hating reading enough to justify buying an audio copy.

ChoicestHops
01-11-2005, 11:23 PM
I bought it but am only half way through. It's mainly in the format of a text book from school. I would have prefered more actual writing.

Im currently reading Plan Of Attack. Although not current, its a very good book.

Paluka
01-12-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate books and I hate reading with a passion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

SossMan
01-12-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, some of the pictures are hilarious, and slightly distrubing (heh). And I can't see anyone hating reading enough to justify buying an audio copy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine how they would even make an audio copy of the book. It's a coffee table book and half the fun is the visuals. It's laid out just like a history textbook complete with the official school library stamp on the inside cover.
An audiobook version would be really strange.

IggyWH
01-12-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a college student... I'm forced to read crap that I could care less about. I don't know any college students that read for fun on the side except when reading a beer bottle label.

elwoodblues
01-12-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know any college students that read for fun on the side except when reading a beer bottle label.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that is a function more of who you socialize with than anything else.

KingMarc
01-12-2005, 01:26 AM
I've never actually seen an episode of DS, but this book was f'n hilarious.

nothumb
01-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Funny book. Almost as funny as the Daily Show, not quite. But then, it doesn't have 5 minutes of commercials after every 2 minute segment. I give it an 8 out of 10 (and I'm harsh).

NT

Richard Tanner
01-12-2005, 04:14 AM
I love this book. Every part for the chapters to the Appendices have their own worth. Great read, and it makes a good statment about politics as a whole.

Cody

Paluka
01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a college student... I'm forced to read crap that I could care less about. I don't know any college students that read for fun on the side except when reading a beer bottle label.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, well I agree nobody reads for fun when they are in college. I don't think this is the same thing as hating books.

IggyWH
01-15-2005, 05:22 AM
I hate to bump an old thread but just wanted to say thanks to those of you that recommended it. I've only read 2 chapters so far but I've laughed my ass off the whole way!