PDA

View Full Version : Making some moves at Party NL100 6-max

soah
01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($257.4)
SB ($62.1)
BB ($157.2)
UTG ($57)
Hero ($174.6)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($19) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $6</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($31) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($31) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>

I wasn't in the mood to bet that flop. With two opponents you get called too often to make it very +EV and checking can be +EV too. As soon as I checked though I realized that the guy behind me was LAG enough to bluff here, and sure enough he threw out a bet that looks a lot like a bluff. I haven't seen a lot of hands from him, but I've seen enough to know that this is not a normal bet from him. So I call with the intention of pushing him off of whatever he has.

-----------------------------

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($117.05)
CO ($48.65)
Hero ($102.7)
SB ($485.45)
BB ($94.9)
UTG ($107.9)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, SB (poster) calls $5, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($14) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB calls $10.

Turn: ($34) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>

Opponent in this hand is extremely TAG. 22ish VP$IP and postflop aggression around 3. Preflop and flop are standard, when he checks to me again on the turn I'm pretty sure he can't have much of a hand. He is too aggressive of a player to take this line with a hand he likes, and since he's tight I think I have a pretty good chance to get him to laydown something like a small pocket pair (he could be putting me on a steal here and wants to see if I'll fire again on the turn.) This was my third hand at the table btw, but I have a little data on SB from a previous session. It's unlikely that he remembers much/anything about me.

-------------------

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($292.4)
BB ($99)
Hero ($128)
MP ($95)
CO ($90.8)
Button ($89.2)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $6</font>, Button calls $6, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($21) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $6</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($33) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>

My preflop play isn't standard, but this guy was pretty LAG so AK and AQ were not a huge concern. Just like the first hand I posted, this guy's flop bet didn't make any sense. Since people are too stupid to fold to check-raises, I do a stop'n'go on him instead.

---------------------

These are not routine hands for me, but after playing countless hundreds of hours at this level I have a pretty good feel for when people are willing to fold, so I've decided to branch out with some moves like these when all the stars are aligned or something. Or whatever.

Benal
01-11-2005, 08:22 PM
All look good to me if you have a tight image, and against the right player. Fold to any raise..

greg nice
01-11-2005, 09:02 PM
the first two are pretty much standard play for me at party 100nl. i dont really like the 3rd. anyways..

1. this is fine. you are right that with 3 opponents it might be difficult to move them off. heads up its a surefire bet. what sucks about your line is the river. he calls if he has you beat and he folds if not. i prefer check/call here, because you can induce a bluff and protect yourself against a bluff raise which you cant call.

2. i like the second barrel. at 22vpip its doubtful he called the preflop raise with a jack. he likely couldnt stand the heat with his TT or 99.

3. its very rare that i would call a raise with KQo. i would never do it out of position like this and with another caller in the pot. postflop looks ok, maybe a check raise to $25 straight. its the min check raises that people always call. still, fold preflop def.

btw: is this forum shiitty lately or what

TheDrone
01-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Hand 3: I assume that you are trying to represent a set after limp-calling a small pair. Your bet should work if villan has overcards, but I'm not sure how often you will get an overpair to fold. Would you have bet out on an ace turn?

soah
01-11-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what sucks about your line is the river. he calls if he has you beat and he folds if not. i prefer check/call here, because you can induce a bluff and protect yourself against a bluff raise which you cant call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people know that they need to bet a decent amount for a pure bluff to have a chance. Many of the tiny bets seem to be from small pairs who think they may have the best hand but don't want to risk much on it. I'm obviously not getting called by anything I beat on the river, but I think there are a number of better hands which may fold. Namely any pair less than tens. I've had far too many hands where I've just called down weak bets and then lost to a hand just barely better than mine that would have folded 95% of the time to any decent raise.

[ QUOTE ]
its very rare that i would call a raise with KQo. i would never do it out of position like this and with another caller in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

These players were playing lots of trash and I was getting better than 4:1 to see a flop. Folding there seemed too weak. It's more likely that I have them dominated than the other way around. It's not standard but the situation here warranted it IMO.

soah
01-11-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3: I assume that you are trying to represent a set after limp-calling a small pair. Your bet should work if villan has overcards, but I'm not sure how often you will get an overpair to fold. Would you have bet out on an ace turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy so far had raised about 16% of hands preflop, and he followed up this raise with a $6 bet into a $21 pot. At this point it's pretty clear that he has nothing, and given that he has nothing, any bet from me should be enough to get him out of the pot. It doesn't really matter to him whether I have a set or a pair or whatever. Hell, there's a reasonable chance that I'm bluffing with the best hand. I've really tied his hands here. Unless he has me fooled, he can't do anything but fold at this point even if he does find my betting pattern odd.