PDA

View Full Version : Implied odds with suited hands

rafct
01-11-2005, 07:43 PM
I have seen a recent thread about playing pocket pairs (44, 55 etc) and learned some nice stuff on how you are having 1:7,5 odds for making your set, but usually is ok to call when you get something like 1:5 because of implied odds (meaning you will win much more if you hit your set).
Now, i am pretty confused about how much this should be in terms of odds for some suited hands , for instance:
1) A5s
2) 45s
3) K9s
What odds are good for calling with these hands? Thanks for the help!!

SoCalPat
01-11-2005, 10:19 PM
You're getting roughly the same odds to flop a flush draw as you are to flop a set -- about 8-1.

That said, you have to be aware of reverse implied odds with your suited cards, because if the flop hits you (say you flop top pair), it's much much tougher to get away from and you might be dominated. It's much easier to get away from a medium or low PP if the flop misses you.

As for the hands you specifically mentioned, generally speaking ...

A5s: At micros, I'll limp with this hand fairly often, if not always, from any position. Sometimes you'll even raise with it (when you're first in and your position is such you can steal the blinds).

45s: Rarely, if ever, should you limp up front with this hand. You need several limpers to get involved here. The looser and passive the table is, the more leeway I'll give myself in terms of position.

K9s: Much like A5s, you've got to be very careful if the flop hits you because of kicker issues. You don't want to get involved here up front and would like to have some callers ahead of you.

Those are just general guidelines for those types of hands. How the rest of the table is playing should play a big role too. If I'm sitting at a table and seven players are taking the flop for one bet on a regular basis, I'll limp with any of these hands from any position.

One more note: If you're in the blinds and the pot is raised and you get several cold-callers, you're well within your right to play any of these hands.

detruncate
01-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Also bear in mind that though your odds of flopping a 4-flush are about the same as flopping a set, you have much less equity on the flop. A set is most often being chased, meaning that you will almost certainly win if nobody improves by the river. With a flush draw, you're the one who needs to improve. You can increase the value of your draw by pumping the flop and/or turn with the appropriate number of callers, but you're essentially starting with 33% of the pot (assuming no other draws to winners) instead of a much higher number for most set situations (odds of holding up + odds of filling/hitting quads and holding up).

In other words, you have to be much more selective with suited cards when playing primarily for flush value as you have much less margin for error. Usually it's the combined value of high card strength (suited aces especially), connectedness, and the possibility of flopping well (2-pair/trips/etc.) that pushes them into the "playable" category.

The general guidelines SoCalPat gave should give you a good idea of how you should approach things.

Happy pokering.