PDA

View Full Version : An interesting counterfeited set hand

adanthar
01-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum at first, but here it is in SNG form /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's the first hand of Level 3 of an eight handed 50+5. I have 1100, get dealt 44 UTG, and limp. (200 fewer chips and I fold, but the table's kinda passive...but I should probably still fold now that I'm quad tabling. Meh.) It's folded to the BB with 800, who minraises. I call.

The flop comes 842, 2 diamonds. BB bets 80 into a pot of 225. I briefly think about raising, decide I'd rather not lose him yet, and call.

The turn is an 8 of hearts. BB bets 225 into a 385 pot and the hand just got interesting. I think for a while, making sure to take some time off the clock, and decide to just call and hope the river isn't an 8.

The river is a 2, double pairing the board. He checks and I bet 200, half of his 395 stack. He CR's me all in and I call like a rocket.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

mcpherzen
01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good? Bad? Ugly?

[/ QUOTE ]

As good as it gets, I believe (am I missing something?). I can't imagine he would have just made 8's full on the end and then refused to bet it, especially with an opponent showing nothing but the willingness to call all the way down. If he shows you an 8, I guess you just tip your cap and say "you outplayed the heck out of me there on the river." I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he had nothing but an Ace.

--Zen

microbet
01-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Seems likely that you have him beat, since there aren't a lot of hands that are mini-raises PF that have 8's unless he just likes to miniraise a lot and/or got lucky and has quads.

Assuming you weren't sure you had him beat, why the 200 bet on the river? Seems like there is a fair chance he has absolutely nothing and folds or has you beat.

Might you want to keep this 200 and try for a comeback if you need to?

In fact, that leads to a general question which I think I'll post separately.

mcpherzen
01-11-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you weren't sure you had him beat, why the 200 bet on the river? Seems like there is a fair chance he has absolutely nothing and folds or has you beat.

Might you want to keep this 200 and try for a comeback if you need to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking behind him here would appear to me to be a horrible mistake. While you don't have the nuts, you aren't far from it. You can't beat 2-2 or 8-8, or any hand with an 8 in it. Those hands aren't that likely because of (a) the pre-flop min-raise and (b) not many players make a full house or quads on the end and then check it, risking that they make $0 add'l dollars from their rivered monster. Other than those hands, you beat everything (ranging from overpairs to that board and all hands with a deuce in them, which really IS a key consideration). I like Adanthar's bet as a value bet...it's gonna be hard for an opponent with anything at all (i.e. an Ace for that 2-pair on board) to let that $1000 pot go for only $200. Plus, the amount of that bet also begs the opponent to come over the top of him, which is what he did. Can't play it much better than that, imo.

Adanthar, what would you have done if he had instantly gone all in in front of you on the river?

--Zen

adanthar
01-11-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar, what would you have done if he had instantly gone all in in front of you on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming he doesn't have me beat, it's actually a better line for him to take than this one, so I call. I'm not necessarily happy doing it, though.

microbet
01-11-2005, 08:42 PM
I guess so.

Since he had done all the betting post-flop he wouldn't think Andathar would bet for him.

Just for the sake of the mystery, I'm going to guess he had 77. He bet small on the flop to see if you would raise with top pair or overpair. You didn't raise, so no overpair, and another 8 made your having an 8 less likely, so he bet harder. The 200 on the river just made him think you were bluffing.

adanthar
01-12-2005, 03:20 PM
He turned over AA and I took it down.

If I was him and, for some reason, decided to minraise, I think I probably fold the river.