PDA

View Full Version : Good Play or am I a hypocrite?

ericlambi
01-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Playing a $30+3 on PP yesterday:

Shortly after the blinds get into the T50 level, I have a shortish stack with ~650. We still have 7 players. I have AKo. Aggressive MP1 raises to T150 and I push. He calls (500 more into a 775 pot). He's got KJ and now I've got a great chip position. I think to myself that this guy is a LAG and a sucker for calling my all-in with KJ.

Two rounds later, he is on the shortish stack and I have the chip lead. I am acting one after him in the SB. He pushes, and it is a significant but non-crippling call for me with KJ. I call without hesitation knowing that his playing standards are poor and he could be on a pure steal anyway.

Am I a hypocrite or did I make a good play?

I forget what he had, wasn't anything great . . . maybe Ax or a complete steal, but I know I won the hand.

1C5
01-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Good call in my opinion if he was likely to push with so-so hands.

CardMinger
01-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I dont think this was a great call...a lot of shortish stack players like to push low aces here and especially suited aces which you are way behind to. I wait for AT or better at least to call here. You can also let him get away with his push knowing you can outplay him later when you have slightly more the best of it.

Jibbs
01-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Good play. You made the call based on your cards and what you had determined about your opponent. If this game was as easy as on AK I go all-in and on K-J I fold it would be easy to write a computer program to win every time.

Sounds like in each case you took your opponents tendencies as well as the strength of your hand into play.

Heck. I constantly complain about people calling post-flop all-ins with Ace-high and doubling up the short stack but I did it last night and split the pot against my opponents A-high. Every hand is a little different and you have add up all the variables for each one.

etgryphon
01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm with CardMinger on this...

KJ is a terrible call unless you have a large chip lead. It is too easily dominated. Muck it. You got lucky this time.

-Gryph

adanthar
01-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Nope. There's no difference at all from raising in EP, then calling most of your stack off with KJo and calling a button open push with it on the bubble. Absolutely none.

In other news, I have a whole lot of third place finishes and no firsts. Anyone want to analyze my play? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="white">Highly opponent dependent but against a LAG this is probably a call depending on exact stack sizes.</font>

ericlambi
01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
You may be correct, I just want to reiterate that my decision to call was mostly read dependent, and not only based on the hand where he had called earlier. For lack of a better term, he was a "jackal".

microbet
01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Barring a few mitigating factors like: the level moved up twice, KJ was pretty much the BEST hand you've seen him play, you had a HUGE stack and his was REALLY short, I'm going to have to say hypocrite /images/graemlins/wink.gif.