PDA

View Full Version : Woah I suck AK Hand

Shillx
01-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I have a strong feeling that my game has gone to hell recently. I don't usually play mid-day so minimal reads. The villian is 15/7 after just 20 hands so take it for what it's worth. The only donor at the table isn't in this hand.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Superhero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Superhero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Superhero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Superhero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="blue">Superhero...?</font>

What am I doing here? Any pre-turn comments appreciated. I think that this hand sums up how crappy I'm playing, but I want some comfirmation from everyone. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

The river was the 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for those interested.

I'll post results shortly.

Brad

TwoShedsJackson
01-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Superhero bets, realising that it would probably be checked behind.

Hang on, why didn't you raise preflop again?

DeathDonkey
01-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi Brad,

I don't want to blindly say "3 bet preflop with AK" but I would do so here with the minimal read and reasonable stats you have on the guy.

Flop is fine after not raising preflop (that really changes this hand alot). I'm not sure what your question is on the turn. I think its "bet or checkraise?" and I would bet. He may even raise you with a worse hand. And he will call with JJ or whatever but check it through if you check. I wouldn't mind going 3 bets on the turn but if he caps I just call the river.

Anything more specific you didn't like about it?

-DeathDonkey

shadow29
01-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Wrong forum, n00b.

Turn:
Superhero Bets with the intention of 3-betting!!!

Shillx
01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Thank you all very much.

I thought I should have check/raised here.

Anyway I bet, he raised and I called.
I check/called the river and got shown KQ.

MHIG and my play is horrible. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

GrunchCan
01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm ok with the PF call. On the SB against a good, thinking LP raiser whom I suspect has a good hand, I'll play the same way frequently.

On the turn, you must bet. Your'e either way ahead or way behind and drawing dead. If your ahead, checking will only result in losing bets. If your behind, your opponent will raise and you can fold in confidence. I seriously doubt your opponent is on a /images/graemlins/heart.gif draw, barring some kind of read from you that he's capable of it.

DeathDonkey
01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
If your thinking of folding the turn to a raise you need to get your head checked. Unbelievable.

shadow29
01-11-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your thinking of folding the turn to a raise you need to get your head checked. Unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

DeathDonkey
01-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Play 2/4 for a little while it will make you happy. And top two pair is a pretty good hand, you should probably put in a raise on one of the big streets /images/graemlins/wink.gif

rafct
01-11-2005, 06:53 PM
I am wondering... Would a simple flop bet be all right here too, or you really have to check raise ? And if so, why ?
Thanks in advance..

Shillx
01-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I think that I should have bet the flop, but check/raising isn't bad by any means. The fact that BB is still in the hand means that I should bet and try to trap him. I just played this one really bad.

Brad

SCfuji
01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
preflop: raise
flop: checkraise is okay, but im always a better.
turn: bet
river: bet

hope you took it down.

meep_42
01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
This is a trifecta hand if that would have been a heart on the river. Check-raise.

-d

SCfuji
01-11-2005, 07:07 PM
awesome, a post where you actually won the pot! and yes, you blow. turn up the aggression bro. i know you have been getting burned recently, but that is no reason to play soft.

SomethingClever
01-11-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
preflop: raise
flop: checkraise is okay, but im always a better.
turn: bet
river: bet

hope you took it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my line, too.

GrunchCan
01-11-2005, 07:12 PM
If your thinking of folding the turn to a raise you need to get your head checked.

Not only is this response not helpful, it's implication is just plain wrong.

The villan in this hand was checkraised by our Hero on the flop, and chose to continue with the hand. Not only that, but he is raising the turn, when the bets increase. What hands would make this play? Only a hand that flopped the nuts or close to it. The flopped straight, a flopped set, and maybe KQ, and that's about it. A /images/graemlins/heart.gif draw certianly would not TPxK would not. We are a 2:1 dog when the villan makes this play.

meep_42
01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We are a 2:1 dog when the villan makes this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's a good thing we're getting 8.5:3 to make the bet/call/call. Ergo, even by your reasoning (which is correct against a TAG), we should at LEAST call down. (Not to mention if we hit an A or K on the river)

-d

milesdyson
01-11-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all very much.

I thought I should have check/raised here.

Anyway I bet, he raised and I called.
I check/called the river and got shown KQ.

MHIG and my play is horrible. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thought (and this thought came from various comments you've made about certain plays you should make more often at higher stakes), since you were debating the turn action, was to check raise

1. Because it's fun.
2. Because if I bet and he raises me, I won't be able to three bet for fear of cappage. But, if I check-raise and he three bets, I'll gladly call down.
3. KQ and AQ are very possible hands for villain.

mmbt0ne
01-11-2005, 08:44 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I think that I should have bet the flop, but check/raising isn't bad by any means. The fact that BB is still in the hand means that I should bet and try to trap him. I just played this one really bad.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, given your preflop play, I don't think the check-raise is as bad as some people make it out to be.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-11-2005, 08:53 PM
3-bet preflop

btspider
01-11-2005, 09:39 PM
at first glance this reeks of FPS.

think about it.. by calling PF, you gain an extra SB from the BB. by raising PF you would gain the same SB from EP.

your PF call is with the intent to check-raise most any flop.. isolating EP and folding the BB (gaining zero bets from him postflop).

so.. if we gain *zero* additional bets, why would you want to let a near any-2 hand see a cheap flop when it could simply be a flop HU against a potentially dominated hand?

either you are greedy or my lack of 5/10 knowledge prevents me from seeing the play here. postflop seems fine given the PF decision.

edit: with a CO poster folding and more dead money in the pot, i think just playing straightforward is more important. don't let the BB in cheaply.