PDA

View Full Version : Calling 3-bets with strong hands preflop/flop

mannika
01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
This could be another instance of FPS, but how likely are you to only call a 3-bet in order to disguise your hand?

Fictional Example 1:

Hero has AA in MP, raises first in, folded around to button who 3-bets, hero???

Fictional Example 2:
Hero has AKs in CO, a few limpers, hero raises, same limpers call, 4 to the flop for 2 bets.
Flop comes J93s, giving hero the nut flush, limper bets into hero, hero raises, limper 3-bets, hero???

I'm more interested not in your specific responses to these two hands, but moreso the factors that you would be taking into account when determining whether to cap or call the 3-bet.

I have a feeling some of the major ones would be how defined your hand will be if you cap, the number of opponents, which betting round it is, and the susceptability of your hand to getting drawn out on.

Bluffoon
01-11-2005, 05:24 PM
I would rather disguise my hand by capping hands that might be worth just a call than by just calling a three bet with a capping hand.

Cerril
01-11-2005, 05:58 PM
I think this is a good point. If you throw in extra bets with hands when your equity may or may not be greater than your share of the pot you lose at worst only a small fraction of a bet.

On the other hand, failing to get a few more bets in with hands when you have the entire field crushed can cost you several bets.

mosquito
01-11-2005, 08:00 PM
There is a tremendous amount of judgment and
table feel here. Either play will maximize
your earn part of the time.

Varying your play is one consideration, knowing
how your opponent will react is another.

Your current table image also needs to be taken into
account.

Also, if you just call, do you plan to lead out on
the next bet, or check raise?

Lots of things to think about, interested to see
if someone else can come up with some math on it.

amulet
01-12-2005, 02:28 AM
most impt part of this is position. the replys are forgetting about it. take AA, i'll cap if i am out of position, but if i can not thin the field, nor do i think it is worth building the pot now vs getting more later i'll smooth call. there is a lot more to it, but i don't have the time right now to write more. always think position.

ACW
01-12-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fictional Example 2:
Hero has AKs in CO, a few limpers, hero raises, same limpers call, 4 to the flop for 2 bets.
Flop comes J93s, giving hero the nut flush, limper bets into hero, hero raises, limper 3-bets, hero???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've already lost value here. I'd be inclined to flat call the original raise to get more of the limpers to stay in. Every now and then the board will pair and someone will hit a full house on the turn, but those hands weren't folding to two bets on the flop anyway. I think the turn is the time to raise.

Reef
01-12-2005, 05:05 PM
If its a calling station, just cap pf. If its a smart player, be tricky and just call. wait until later streets to raise

hand 2, why the hell are you raising? Are you trying to eliminate overcalls???