PDA

View Full Version : Calling 3-bets with strong hands preflop/flop

mannika
01-11-2005, 04:33 PM
This could be another instance of FPS, but how likely are you to only call a 3-bet in order to disguise your hand?

Fictional Example 1:

Hero has AA in MP, raises first in, folded around to button who 3-bets, hero???

Fictional Example 2:
Hero has AKs in CO, a few limpers, hero raises, same limpers call, 4 to the flop for 2 bets.
Flop comes J93s, giving hero the nut flush, limper bets into hero, hero raises, limper 3-bets, hero???

I'm more interested not in your specific responses to these two hands, but moreso the factors that you would be taking into account when determining whether to cap or call the 3-bet.

I have a feeling some of the major ones would be how defined your hand will be if you cap, the number of opponents, which betting round it is, and the susceptability of your hand to getting drawn out on.

EDIT: Realized this is probably a better post for poker theory, I've cross-posted it there.

Fat Nicky
01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Example 1: When I raise and get 3-bet, I generally will just call the 3-bet against 1, sometimes 2 opponents and cap against 2 or more.

Example 2: When 3-bet on the flop with an almost unbeatable hand, a call coupled with a turn raise in in order. With 2 or more opponents, my decision would depend on my position relative to the 3-bettor.

BetTheFlop
01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I'll take a shot...

[ QUOTE ]
This could be another instance of FPS, but how likely are you to only call a 3-bet in order to disguise your hand?

Fictional Example 1:

Hero has AA in MP, raises first in, folded around to button who 3-bets, hero???

[/ QUOTE ]

My normal play here is to cap and lead the flop. Normally 3-bet if raised, and lead the turn. Depending on opponent,and the chance that he'll bet the turn, may just call the flop and go for check-raise on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

Fictional Example 2:
Hero has AKs in CO, a few limpers, hero raises, same limpers call, 4 to the flop for 2 bets.
Flop comes J93s, giving hero the nut flush, limper bets into hero, hero raises, limper 3-bets, hero???

[/ QUOTE ]

In this instance, it depends on position. If limper is immediately to my right, I'll go for overcalls. If there are callers between limper and me, I'm definitely raising.

Rob