PDA

View Full Version : Semi-bluff questions

floppy
01-11-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm having trouble playing/sniffing out semi-bluffs. I'll split this out a few ways:

I'll preface this by saying this is Paradise $10 + 1. Players can be tricky here, limping with AK or AA, and some players can be a real pain in the ass to have on your left, raising/reraising you at a moments notice (and sniffing out your blind steals later on)

Say you haven't paired the flop, but have a flush or straight draw (but not both). The straight draw is for top straight, while the flush draw -- well, you tell me, how low can your top card in your hand go before you worry about a higher flush?

On the button (or even next-to-last to act?):

- With 1-2 other players
- With 3+ other players

My current opinion: This seems very stack dependent. If stacks are even, and the pot is very small (1/10 of stacks or less), a semi-bluff might simply invite a check raise or a reraise (depending on what's happened on the flop before it gets to me). If the pot is bigger (1/3-1/2 of stacks), is an all-in the better play, instead of a pot-sized bet? What if you're outstacked by 2 to 1? Even more outstacked than that?

Also, an option that I don't like is calling a big raise on the flop. I tried this the other day, called another big bet on the turn, and ended up losing 1/3 of my stack. I think reraising on the flop the amount I ended up calling on the turn would have been much better (they only need to fold 30% of the time to make it worthwhile, I think)

From the BB or SB limped around Pre-flop:

- With 1-2 other players
- With 3+ other players

My current opinion: I've stopped playing my draws out of position since it's effectively a 20% chance of hitting if someone behind me calls, unless I'm going to hit it again on the turn, in which case I don't see how the implied odds make this a good move.

(Here's how I see this: If the pot is X, and I make a pot-sized bet that is called, the pot is now 3X. If I make another pot-sized bet on the turn, that's another 3X for a total of 4X bet on the two cards, so I need better than 4:1 odds to do this. 80% of the time I miss on the turn, so I need to get them to fold 75% of the time with the turn bet for this to work (80% * 75% = 60% = 80% - 20% [odds to call minus chance I hit the draw with one card]).

Generally, I feel like there's dead money at the start of every table (~3-4 players, usually), and I'd like to get some of it, lest I have 900 or so to everyone elses 2000 later on. When this happens, I feel like I need to go all in even at the 30/60 level, since a bet of 180 just seems to entice an auto-all-in.

Thanks for any advice,

Floppy

floppy
01-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Bump. Anyone want to take a crack at this?

floppy
01-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Bump.

Insty
01-14-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure what your question is.

Myst
01-14-2005, 10:03 AM
I dont semibluff very much due to the fast nature of Party's structure. Semibluffing is something done more in games with deeper stacks, and the fast paced nature for online poker simply doesnt allow for a lot of it. Combined with the fact that many people are habitual callers online, and the value of semibluffing goes down even more.

When you semibluff, you first and foremost want people to fold. If they dont do that, whats the point in doing it?

floppy
01-14-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm looking for a critique of my reasoning on these. Given the four circumstances (early/late position vs. 1-2/3 or more players), when would you semi-bluff?

Also, how high does your top flush draw card need to be to try a semi-bluff? A only? K? Lower?

Insty
01-15-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm looking for a critique of my reasoning on these. Given the four circumstances (early/late position vs. 1-2/3 or more players), when would you semi-bluff?

Also, how high does your top flush draw card need to be to try a semi-bluff? A only? K? Lower?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the Party 10+1's I never try to semi-bluff as you will just get called by at least one person who will catch something on the river.

[ QUOTE ]

On the button (or even next-to-last to act?):

- With 1-2 other players
- With 3+ other players

My current opinion: This seems very stack dependent. If stacks are even, and the pot is very small (1/10 of stacks or less), a semi-bluff might simply invite a check raise or a reraise (depending on what's happened on the flop before it gets to me). If the pot is bigger (1/3-1/2 of stacks), is an all-in the better play, instead of a pot-sized bet? What if you're outstacked by 2 to 1? Even more outstacked than that?

[/ QUOTE ]

What has happend on the flop before it gets to you is a very important consideration. And there are many books on the topic. The problem seems to be that the questions you are asking require writing another one to answer.

My general feeling is: 'It depends'

Never try to bluff someone with a stack twice as big as yours - they'll call you for fun.
Anyone who check raises you either has a good hand or is on to your bluff.
If I am playing 3+ other players it is more likely one of them has something.
If I'm drawing I want to get my card as cheaply as possible.
Make sure you are getting appropriate pot odds.

Then agian I don't play many drawing hands.
Make sure you are not bleeding chips by doing this.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, an option that I don't like is calling a big raise on the flop. I tried this the other day, called another big bet on the turn, and ended up losing 1/3 of my stack. I think reraising on the flop the amount I ended up calling on the turn would have been much better (they only need to fold 30% of the time to make it worthwhile, I think)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you loose at showdown, or did you chicken out on the river?
If you are going to bluff you have to be sure your opponent will lay down the hand.
Make sure you are playing your bluff hands the same way you play your made hands, otherwise you'll find everyone works out what you are doing in no time.

The most important rule I think is "Don't do it too often." otherwise you lose all credibilty and people will start calling down your made hands and outdrawing you.