PDA

View Full Version : Stop and Go

Harmonica
01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi

Could somebody explain what this is, because I cant find the post I was looking at the other day that explained what this is.

Thanks in advance

Rasputin
01-11-2005, 04:15 PM
You're facing a bet and will be first to act on the next round.

Rather than reraising you call then push on the next round.

The theory is that you gain folding equity.

ricochet420
01-11-2005, 04:22 PM
What exactly is folding equity?

microbet
01-11-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is folding equity?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to take a stab at this eventhough I'm not sure I will be exactly right and I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Folding Equity is the value gained by the chance that your opponent will fold. If there are X chips in the pot and you estimate that there is a Y% chance that your bet will make your opponent fold, that bet has Y/100 * X in folding equity.

Al Mirpuri
01-12-2005, 11:30 AM
I think we read the same post, which was wonderfully lucid.

If I remember correctly:

You have few chips.

You are against the blinds only.

You call the big blind (and hopefully the small blind folds).

The big blind checks to you on the flop.

You push all-in.

The idea is that having missed the flop (and 75% of flops do not help any given player) he will fold when you push on the flop because he believes it has hit you and he is not getting the correct odds to carry on. If you had pushed preflop then the big blind would have gotten the correct odds to call your all-in. (Assuming you would have given him around 2-1 to call your all-in and even 32o is only a 2-1 against any nonpair hand.)

The stop and go misses when...
someone enters the pot after you,
the small blind calls,
the small blind raises,
the big blind raises you,
the flop is bet into you, and
the flop hits the big blind.

Some players mistakenly call any call preflop with the intention to push on the flop a stop and go but it clearly is not.