PDA

View Full Version : Early all-in situation

Jackrabbit Slim
01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't have a hand history for this one so it might be a bit messy, sorry for that.

It's the first orbit of a low buy-in SnG and blinds are 15 chips. I've folded everything so far but pick up QQ in MP1 and raise to 60 after the first two players have folded.

MP2 re-raises me to 150 and everybody folds to the Button who cold calls the reraise. I decide to try and see where I stand so I raise to 400. MP2 calls my raise and the Button folds.

Flop comes KQJ with two spades. What do I do?

I don't have any real read on MP2 since it's early in the game but I don't really think he's got KK or AA or he would've raised me all in preflop? Even if he does, I can still beat AA but I think AQ or AK or even JJ is more likely. Unless they are spades I'm still in pretty good shape here? Thoughts?

Marcotte
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Need to know stack sizes to be sure, but if this is party I'm pretty sure its a push. Even on PokerRoom, with 1500 stacks, there is 950 in the pot and 1100 in your stack. Easy push, unless you feel like gambling, and letting him draw to a flush cheaply. I think the odds of him having two spades is low, but in my limited experience, I've found it best to play my big hands fast, especially at low buy-ins.

stillnotking
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Is this a trick question? You push and hope he has AK. He probably does.

The Yugoslavian
01-11-2005, 03:20 PM
With a flop like this I'd try to extract as many chips as possible. You have a set and are only drawing almost dead vs. KK.

I don't know how deep the stacks are between you and your opponent or what level you're playing so I hesitate to give betting advice but most likely I'd slow play this (as your opponent likely hit something here) by checking/raising allin or making a weak bet to goad him into coming over the top of you.

You are a favorite (and in almost all cases a huge one) against all hands but KK.

Ram and jam baby!

Yugoslav

Jackrabbit Slim
01-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Right, sorry. Stacks are 1000 to begin with so both have half our stacks invested.

ericlambi
01-11-2005, 03:28 PM
This player probably hit with anything that he saw the flop with. I would push and expect him to call 90% of the time. You will win the times he calls 90% of the time too. KK is the only concern here, but he probably would have pushed PF with that.

bluesbassman
01-11-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right, sorry. Stacks are 1000 to begin with so both have half our stacks invested.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, in my opinion the only question here is whether to slow play by check/raising, or push. Since there are already two spades on the board, I'd just push.

Jackrabbit Slim
01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Ok, so I pushed all-in and my opponent immediately called and showed KJ = a nice start for me in the tournament.

Another question though. What if he had re-raised me all-in preflop. Should I fold then, or is he likely to have AK-J or lower PP enough times to call?

The Yugoslavian
01-11-2005, 06:12 PM
If your stack only started at 1000 then just push on the flop here.

Looks like that is what you did -- don't need to second guess yourself next time.

Yugslav