PDA

View Full Version : Growing Some Nuts with an Overpair

MEbenhoe
01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
I’m currently in La Crosse for a 3 week “Jterm” class and having only one class during this time leaves me with a lot of free time. So after class yesterday I decided I’d go online and play a little bit at the NL tables. Pretty early in the session I came upon a “hand” which has been troubling me and it appears the way I played it is somewhat controversial (Schneids seems to think I played this awfully).

A female friend of mine starts talking to me on AIM. I can immediately tell she’s quite flirty today so I play along with her. A little info on my opponent here, she’s got a smoking body and a ok face so an intimidating presence overall, and she’s known to be a slightly loose, very aggressive, solid player . Pretty quick into this conversation she lets me know she wants me to come down to see her this weekend and that the result of me coming down to see her is guaranteed at least to be a BJ with further possibilities. I can’t believe my luck, pocket aces, the best starting hand in hold em. I’ve been raised by my very aggressive opponent in front of me, and I’m trying to decide what to do before the flop here. At this point I’m tempted to immediately push all in, but I hold back for now. I decide this might be a good spot to slow play aces preflop and trap my aggressive opponent. So I cold call her raise letting her know I’m interested in this pot, but I’m not ready to commit all my chips yet.

So the flop is laid out. Its not a good one for me. My aces might still be the best hand here, but even if they are there’s lots of draws out against me. As I’m talking to my opponent, I realize that to see her I’m going to have to make a 3 hour drive to get to her. Then she leads out with the fact that while she wants to see me I won’t be able to stay by her place this weekend and since I have no other friends where she lives this means springing for a hotel room as well. Then there’s also the fact that following through on this hand could result in me spending an entire 4 day weekend in hick town for one night of fun. However, since I think I’m still good here, but still not sure enough to commit all my chips I call her again, figuring I’ll wait to see how the turn and river develop.

The turn comes down a blank and my opponent checks. At this point its become apparent to me that my opponent is somewhat likely to want to start up some sort of mixed up long distance relationship if we do this, and that her inviting me down with the guarantee of some type of sexual encounter is very likely her way of luring me in. Now against a normal opponent this would cause me to make a big bet and go for the pot. However, my opponent is known to be very aggressive, which is starting to make me think maybe she has a better hand than I originally thought and she’s trying to trap me. So instead I check behind her knowing that if another blank comes on the river she’ll make a small bet trying to lure me in if she actually does have a monster, but she’ll make a big bet at the pot if she was really on a draw and just missed, in which case I can take her for all she’s got. However if the draw hits she will do just the opposite, betting big on her made hand or betting small with a lesser hand not wanting to lose too many chips in case I hit the draw.

Here comes the river, and it couldn’t make this decision harder. The straight and flush draws both hit, but it tripped up my aces. Uh oh, my opponent pushes all in which I know from having played against her in previous sessions means she’s about 80% likely to have hit her draw. My thinking is this, I definitely do not want to commit all my chips to likely being put into a long distance relationship with my opponent right now, especially due to the fact that in starting one I know she will become overly clingy to me. So I think about it for a few minutes and muck my set....

Howd I play it?

Kaz The Original
01-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Fold preflop.

NLSoldier
01-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Nice laydown. Def. not worth the drive and hotel just to get with some chick. What the hell would you do the rest of the weekend?

MEbenhoe
01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell would you do the rest of the weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you know "spending some quality time together" some BS like that.

nolanfan34
01-11-2005, 04:03 PM
There are few times that mucking a set of Aces is correct, but this might be one of them. You certainly have some meta-game considerations on this hand.

She made a big bet on the river to set you all-in.

If you call, and win, and escape with the pot, it might be good enough this time, but next time she may truly set the trap by making the same play with what looks like her busted draw, and get all of your chips. Tangle once with her, and you're more likely to tangle again.

If you call, and lose, you're going to be stuck, and playing from behind. She's going to have a serious chip stack advantage on you. You can rebuy, sure, but she'll have the stack to set you all-in and bully you around whenever she wants.

In the end, it's a good fold. Either situation has further consequences down the road. Yes, the instant gratification of winning the pot can be a tricky elixir. But remember the best part about poker - while this hand may be a long term loser, there's another chance around the corner to get your money in with better odds.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BradleyT
01-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Does she live near Milwaukee? Get the BJ and then go play some poker at Potowatomi.

MEbenhoe
01-11-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does she live near Milwaukee? Get the BJ and then go play some poker at Potowatomi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not 21 yet /images/graemlins/mad.gif

beernutz
01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Can I have her number?

AlienCorpse
01-11-2005, 11:08 PM
This is the most complicated hand of poker I have ever read in my entire life.

Brain
01-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Try multitabling. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Creeper_thp
01-12-2005, 02:00 AM
Play some solitaire and forget about the whole mess.

Cyrus
01-12-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Howd I play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You ignored the implied odds.

<font color="white"> .</font>

Larimani
01-12-2005, 10:37 AM
mwhahahaahaha

Subby
01-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Have you stuck this thing in bison's hand converter? Please post your results.

rigoletto
01-12-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you stuck this thing in bison's hand converter? Please post your results.

[/ QUOTE ]

In white!

Nagoo81
01-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi MeBenhoe:

Needs some more poker/life analogies.

On another note, what if she was bluffing? You move all in, but she has you covered by a long shot...you have the best hand, but she won't let you touch her chips afterwards. But then you ask for a new setup after some cold cards. But then she asks the floor for a seat change. What do you do then? Next thing you know, you forgot to check out your comp card, and you've lost all your comp points. Then where does that leave you? Better to have mucked than to have never mucked at all.

Do you see why? I'll let others elaborate.

MEbenhoe
01-12-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi MeBenhoe:

Needs some more poker/life analogies.

On another note, what if she was bluffing? You move all in, but she has you covered by a long shot...you have the best hand, but she won't let you touch her chips afterwards. But then you ask for a new setup after some cold cards. But then she asks the floor for a seat change. What do you do then? Next thing you know, you forgot to check out your comp card, and you've lost all your comp points. Then where does that leave you? Better to have mucked than to have never mucked at all.

Do you see why? I'll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful analogy and solid advice. I will not post a pic on the forums cuz I feel that would be somewhat wrong, but what is funny is the few people I've showed privately have told me I'm insane and shoulda done this one just for fun. So I was starting to feel as though maybe I made the wrong move, but your well-crafted analogy has pushed me back in the right direction.

TPL
01-13-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try multitabling. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies &amp; Gentlemen, the Post of The Year!

;-0

TPL