PDA

View Full Version : Chip spraying with pocket 9's

Fianchetto
01-11-2005, 02:35 PM
9 handed - Party 15/30 game.

<font color="brown">Hero open raises from EMP with</font> 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 1 MP caller, Button calls, Blinds fold.

3 players (3.5BB)

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

<font color="brown">Hero bets </font>, MP raises, Button calls,<font color="brown"> Hero calls.</font>

3 players (6.5BB)

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

<font color="brown">Hero checks</font>, MP bets, Button raises, <font color="brown"> Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, Button caps, <font color="brown"> Hero calls</font>, MP calls.

3 players (18.5BB)

River: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

<font color="brown">Hero checks </font>, MP checks, Button bets, <font color="brown">Hero folds</font>, MP calls.

How bad is it?

oscark
01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I would have reraised the flop.

Unless the button is a super LAG, I really don't like the 3 bet on the turn. He is screaming a big hand, at least a 7. Call the turn, hope you have more than 2 outs, and fold the river unimproved.

elindauer
01-11-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm inclined to stay aggressive and bet the turn, despite the flop coldcall, as I don't want it checked through.

Having checked though, the 3-bet... you have to call, so you're already in for 2. What do you gain by 3-betting? You might make a pair + overcard fold a 5-outer. OK, that's good. On the downside though, you open the door to a cap that you'll have to call.

I think calling is probably better, but I like your mentality in this hand.

good luck.
Eric

bernie
01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Im not 3 betting the turn once the button 'wakes up' and raises. You're asking to be capped here.

b

Fianchetto
01-11-2005, 07:22 PM
While playing this hand I had the "Two Overpair Hands" section from SSH in the back of my mind.

On the flop I was thinking that my 9's are probably best right now, but if I jam the flop and lead the turn everybody is basically correct to call with overcards/gutshots.

If I wait until a safe turn card comes then raise I can charge them more when my pot equity is greater.

The 8 on the turn seemed like a good card for me so I went for the check raise, but didn't really adjust my plans when the button threw in a raise himself.

Calling the turn probably was the better play, or as Eric suggested lead the turn and call the raise. Either way I save a bet when it looks like I'm drawing.

JasonP530
01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
3 betting the turn doesnt have much merit once the button has awakenend to raise. If he called with a suited connector, youre toast, as you are if you were cold called by TT 88 or 66. I think the difference in the example in the book and the example here, is that here you are out of position, your opponents are less likely to be drawing, and there arent many safe turn cards. I would 3 bet the flop and if I got raised on the turn by the button on blank turncard, I would fold, having shown so much strength.

Fianchetto
01-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Button had 66 for the flopped boat, and I was drawing thin.