PDA

View Full Version : Moving up in stakes

WarDekar
01-11-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. I've been playing mostly $.50/1 to clear bonuses at PP and EP, and recently bought PT to help me evaluate my ring play. Previously I only used ring play for bonus rollover, but now I am considering playing ring more often to mix it up (normally play SNGs). I have won 3.7BB/100 hands so far through about 2,000 hands that I could import into PT in $.50/1. I realize this sample size is incredibly small, but I feel confident beating this limit that I can move up.

My question is, given an irrelevant bank roll (you have enough to move up as much as you want) what BB/100 do you need after what sample size do confidently move up from $.50/1 to 1/2? 1/2 to 2/4? 2/4 to 3/6? I'd like to move up to as high of limit as I'm comfortable beating, but don't want to skip levels. I want to play enough hands at each progressive level to "know" I'm good enough to continue moving up. Anyone have any thoughts?

dealer_toe
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
you're going to "know" you're good enough when you feel confident. When you can move up the level and know you are one of, if not the best player sitting at the table. There really isn't a set amount of hands to move up. Its when you feel confident enough that you are going to play your game and not let the higher stakes affect your decisions.

btspider
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
bankroll and comfort decide when to move up.. never winrate.

winrate doesn't really begin to converge until 50K, 100K, or more hands. by then, you are a different player.

since you have the bankroll covered, i'll just say your comfort may be false at this point. you could easily have coasted through those 2K hands and not run any difficult situations. moving up is fine though if you can make yourself move down if need be. i'd recommend 10K hands at 1/2 before hitting 2/4.

tiltaholic
01-11-2005, 02:07 PM
hi
confidence is like, well, confidence, you either have it or you don't.

if the term "confidence interval" gives you a warm feeling check out this post...Homer on confidence intervals (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=1342415&Forum= All_Forums&Words=confidence%20interval&Searchpage= 0&Limit=25&Main=1342415&Search=true&where=bodysub& Name=167&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderv al=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1342415)

excel will tell you if you're ready... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Womble
01-11-2005, 04:28 PM
It is confidence that determines when to move. I started on 0.05/0.1 and once I was settled there I could happily sit in the games and just play.

I moved up to 0.1/0.2 and was terrified, the pots were bigger, the bets were bigger and I tightened up. After a while I got happy there and started to multitable. Ditto for 0.25/0.5 where I am now. The start is horrible but stick with it for a while.

Its a bit like moving into a new house. In your old house your comfortable and an 'be yourself'. In the new house its different, the environment and atmoshpre has changed. Your out of your comfort zone. Its only after time you become settled there

Sorry for my rambling /images/graemlins/blush.gif

jaxUp
01-11-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its a bit like moving into a new house. In your old house your comfortable and an 'be yourself'. In the new house its different, the environment and atmoshpre has changed. Your out of your comfort zone. Its only after time you become settled there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice analogy womble. Very poetic. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree with everything above. It's all about comfort, but make sure you aren't just comfortable because you have been running well. You need to be playing well too.

SomethingClever
01-11-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what BB/100 do you need after what sample size do confidently move up from $.50/1 to 1/2? 1/2 to 2/4? 2/4 to 3/6?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the $$$ is irrelevant, than your BB/100 is irrelevant too. Move up when you feel confident that you're beating the level, regardless of BB/100.