PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to a Very Loose home game, Suggestions?

BuddahShark
01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
My frustration with this game I played in last night is still with me, seeking any advice on how to adapt my play to profit from this game.

Game is roughly 8 or 9 guys, most of whom play EXTREMELY loose. The game is .25/.50 blinds, im talking guys who call Q-6 to a $2 raise preflop, and limp with any Ace. I cant say how many times i saw people betting and calling middle pairs with no kicker, chasing almost anything with terrible pot odds. These players are rougly, terrible, and play as if they're unsure of whats going on at all times. With that said, i somehow lost two buyins to these guys, maybe it was the string of bad cards and my growing frustration with the slow pace of the game. A few questions I have are:
-Should I loosen up my starting hands to match those of my opponents, (ie play any suited ace out of position, J7, Q8, hands like these) or just stay tight and be patient?
-Should I play less aggressively with the best current hand on draw heavy boards, or even more so against these guys who seem to call any draw to the river.
-Good but not great hands like AJ or AQ: I usually raise in position with these to about 4xBB. Is this sound play against players who will call with a random King. or Did i just get screwed on every flop i missed with these hands last night?
-In general, how do you play against players that don't think much about their opponents?

Sorry if this sounds like whining, or if the answers are obvious, but if anybody has encountered games like this or has a basic strategy for playing loose/passive loose/aggressive and (bad) players like these, please comment. Appreciate it.

iluzion
01-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm having this same problem adjusting to homegames my self so I am really curious to see what responses you get here.

Other posters correct me if I'm wrong on all of this but what I did was loosen up PF a bit, seeing as it takes less of a hand on average to be better than their hands. If I hit a good hand like a flush or straight, I bet the hell out of it, because if any of them hit a pair, its highly unlikely they will fold it. On a draw board it's very probable they will be chasin it as it seems, so if I have a decent (but not the drawing) hand, I check/call through, than when they appear to have miss I bet. Also, you prolly figured this your self, remove all bluffing/semi-bluffing from your playing, and don't worry about playing deceptivly and hiding your hand so much, they won't pay attention or possibly care. Loose players tend to assume people are bluffing alot, as they do themselves too much.

kurto
01-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Just my 2cents... playing good poker should be these guys. You should play your A game, and when you hit, make them pay for it. You want to go heads up with people who are hitting their queens playing 3-Q when you're playing A-Q. This, to me, sounds like a dream game.

The biggest mistake you can make, unless you're gus hansen, is to play junk cards along with everyone else.

Matter of fact, if I play junk in the BB and I hit... say you come in with 10-4 and the board flops 2-6-10. Don't go nuts on the board. So many people will bet out and lose to a 10-J. Why risk money on junk. I'm waiting for this hand to hit 2 pair or trips. Otherwise, how much money are you willing to lose on such a weak hand? When you play against loose players, someone will make a lot of money on this hand then lose their stack a couple hands later playing the same kind of cards.

It pays to be the patient player who takes their stacks then the people risking too much of their bankroll on top pair, crap kicker.

Tilt
01-11-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I loosen up my starting hands to match those of my opponents, (ie play any suited ace out of position, J7, Q8, hands like these) or just stay tight and be patient?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dont play trash ever. But loosen up on good drawing hands even out of position. The implied odds for good draws improves when the quality of your opponents goes down.

[ QUOTE ]

-Should I play less aggressively with the best current hand on draw heavy boards, or even more so against these guys who seem to call any draw to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Be more aggressive and more willing to get it all in with overpairs and TPTK. Youll get paid off more often by draws without odds to call.

[ QUOTE ]

-Good but not great hands like AJ or AQ: I usually raise in position with these to about 4xBB. Is this sound play against players who will call with a random King. or Did i just get screwed on every flop i missed with these hands last night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I would loosen up, I would tighten my preflop raising standards to solid overpairs and AK, AQs on the button. I would occasionally raise a suited connector on the button if I know I will get many callers. That will ensure a big payday when you hit them.

[ QUOTE ]

-In general, how do you play against players that don't think much about their opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are great conditions. Just wait till you are fairly sure you are ahead and then push often. They will call so much more often that you dont need to be as tricky or thoughtful yourself.

Can I join the game? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

mason55
01-11-2005, 06:09 PM
This is the same as many of the lower stakes NL games online (i'm talking below even the NL25 games). You can limp with a lot more, don't raise too much preflop because you can still get the money in after the flop when you hit and when you don't you save a buck or two. Be ready to go to the felt with TPTK and overpairs because that's where you'll make your money. The only problem is if you're tiltable by losing to some stupid two-pair that limped with K6o because it will happen. Hopefully you're good enough to recognize when the player who hasn't raised the entire night sunddely comes alive he might have hit something weird.

JasonDB
01-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Tighten up your game and play very good hands, but play them aggressively. After you notice the other players adjust to your play loosen up and begin to steal. They will begin to give you credit for only playing great cards and begin to show respect when you enter pots and bet.