PDA

View Full Version : Fold or Raise? Other choices?

09-13-2001, 07:00 PM
I've heard and read advice that it is usually better to either fold or raise than to check. This advice is VERY hard to follow in practice.

On the other hand I see recommended that, for instance, here it would be better to check, or that checking and calling down to the river is the best play.

What's a beginner to do? When specifically would it be better to either fold or raise? When is it best to check?

As an aside I have played recently in a fold or raise mode. It's hard. You really have to decide then and there if you're beat. You end up doing more folding, in my experience.

Thanks for the responses.

Greg

09-13-2001, 07:12 PM
I think the reason many people favors raise/fold is because 2+2 encourage players to play a tight-aggressive game. Of course, there are situations where you have to call. However, if your starting hand requirement is high, then most of the time you will be either betting/raising or folding.

If you find yourself in a game where most of the time you are calling, then perhaps you need to revisit the way you play or find a softer game to play in.

09-13-2001, 07:50 PM
When the pot is small there is little reason to get engaged with an inferior (calling) hand. When the pot is large you should OFTEN call since the reward for the rare times you win is high.

The following is not the only strategy, but is a very good one espeically for beginners: on your FIRST decision, if your hand is not worth betting or raising then you should not call. Your frequency should be first Fold, then Raise, and least of all Call. Basically this means you will usually have the "best" hand when you play.

Some exceptions: [] You should apply this strategy to the first full bet, so its OK to call ("limp") $1 in a 1-5 stud game. []You can also call full bets in Holdem in Late position with a drawing hand (87s) in a multi-way pot. [] Its OK to slow-play once in a while.

- Louie