PDA

View Full Version : My Online Poker Experience: What I've Learned

02-04-2002, 12:34 PM
It's 11:20 am and I am sitting in a classroom at my university. I should be listening to what the teacher is saying, but I am not. I'm too tired, and it is too boring. I've just come from an 18hr online session that I decided, win or lose, would be my last for at least a few months. I won, and I just requested a check...almost $5,000 worth. I am relieved, exhauseted, and see cards shooting through my tired brain. This was a much needed run (started with $300) and I can make things right (pay off my credit card bills, have some spending money, and get baack into live action). Here is what I learned:

1) Don't Play at Paradise...While Paradise may have the software and game selection, the games are tight and tough and there are better fish to be had. Are u playing for fun or money?

2) Live a Balanced Life....As easy as it is to put in 18 hrs a day (and believe me, I have), it is a good way to lose all your money AND your sanity AND your relation to the outside world. I am just now starting to mend it. I lost $1800 at Paradise playing all night, being late to work, and being miserable with friends and coworkers. If this is you, take a break. Don't play with scared money (when i did, I lost). DO keep records of other players.

3) Don't stay in a crappy game, don't get into vendettas with other players. Do not play when you are tired (a sure loser). I know a lot of you out there have slept between hands; DONT.

4) Be focused and punish yourself for tilt. I havd over $5000 at one point and blew like $700 on poor play. I punished myself by forcing myself to play 1-2 and tight as hell for three days. Create a punishment for bad play and stick to it. READ AND REREAD S&M, espescially if you play a lot of shorthanded which I did.

Good luck all, it's been a rough ride but I hope to help you with a smoother transition.

D. Gambler

02-04-2002, 03:26 PM
You made $4700 in 18 hours?

02-04-2002, 03:28 PM
No, sorry for the confusion. I made $4700 in about two weeks of play (I started with $300). I did make a dime last night however.

Jeff

02-04-2002, 03:29 PM
nm

02-04-2002, 03:31 PM
That's very impressive "Jeff" (if that is your real name ;-). Do you mind revealing what games and what limits you played primarily? I assume holdem since you mention S&M but do you play others as well?

02-04-2002, 03:56 PM
I started at 1-2 and worked my way up to 10-20. This was all hold 'em, but I'd rather keep the name of the site to myself (don't need it being infested with 2plus2 sharks lol). I do play other games live, but mostly hold 'em online (there is a live 10-20 stud game where I live that I play in). Basically if you work hard and control your emotions, it can be done.

Jeff

02-04-2002, 04:45 PM
great!!!!COULD U TELL US WHICH SIGHTS WERE most profitable and why.very good post,i would use your advice.please elaborate

02-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Great post Jeff.

"Live a Balanced Life"

Pay attention to this one. It's possible to play less hours of poker, enjoy it more, play better and learn more. Here's the kicker, and make more money.

Guess what? There is going to be a good game tomorrow. One third of days, for most pro-players, are going to be losing ones.

Even if you don't play worse when you losing, yeah right, you have an emotional price of having large losses, although less losses total.

MS Sunshine

02-05-2002, 08:32 AM
Since cashing a $5000 check will be flaged by the bank.

02-05-2002, 08:35 AM
2500 in three months at 1-2 5 max tables. Then lost 1000 the next month, then made it all back the following month, then lost 500.

However - very very good rules Jeff

02-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Only if you cash the check? I thought it was $10,000 anyway. The check is for slightly under $5,000, and I'm sure people deposit salary checks that are larger all the time. That is not my net winnings for the year; I lost about $3,000 in Atlantic City (and have cash advance records to prove it).

Jeff

02-06-2002, 11:45 AM
"I lost about $3,000 in Atlantic City (and have cash advance records to prove it)"

Does that mean I should have ignored your advice about AC...?

Just kidding, Jeff. Thanks for the earlier advice re AC. btw, good breakfast diner: the Cup and Saucer. Good seafood restaurant: the Atlantic City Bar and Grill. Hope I remembered the names correctly.