PDA

View Full Version : KK out of position. 3 Handed on Ace high board.

partygirluk
01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t960)
SB (t790)
BB (t955)
Hero (t2675)
MP1 (t2045)
MP2 (t1510)
CO (t6790)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t150, CO calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t525) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

CO is new to the table. The previous hand went like this. I raised UTG+1 with AQo. He flat called. One of the blinds pushed in for about 1.6K. I folded. He thought and called. His AQ won v 99. MP2 seems little loose, though nothing of note. A round or so earlier I limp reraised with AA.

What is my plan here? My default thus fur is to pump out about 350, planning to fold if raised, or check/fold if called. If the board was rainbow I probably bet out 250, and adopt a similar plan.

Ross
01-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Heads up bet 3 way check. Rationale by checking you find out of if MP2 has an ace for free. Given his chip position he cannot bet without an ace but nor can he let the other 2 players have a free card if has one.

regards

Ross

Dawdy
01-11-2005, 11:36 AM
my first thought here is why raise so little from UTG with KK.
If your willing to throw away KK on the flop if an A falls you can play this the way you have. If an A didnt fall you could have raised this up and won extra bets. Most players would like to win with KK every time so your strategy wont work all the time.
My view is that you have 3 options, fold, limp or BIG raise from UTG depending on how u want to play the hand. I find making that decision preflop is the best way. ie. fold -(got decent chips dont want to be knocked out by an Ace, happens more often towards the end of a torney rather than the beginning), limp - hoping for a raise on the way round so u can reraise. Danger here in that u may just get everyone limping behind you... &lt;with KK I would not limp unless I have a real maniac on my left&gt;. BIG raise - win the antes or take this heads up with a caller, if you made it 500 to go all the small stacks are gonna fold or go all in while the CO (only big stack) realises you are committed to this hand and so is less likely to play... afterall why should he, you 2 are chip leaders and can happily share out the low chipped and fight over first when your in the money or he has a massive hand.

Its the age old decision, do I try to maximise my win on KK or do I just try to win it? I think winning the hand is everything, trying to squeezing extra chips out of your opponents is too dangerous. The same argument is often bought up with AA and QQ. I can see a justification with AA as they have to hit 2 pair to beat you but KK and QQ arent worth letting someone else try and outdraw you cheaply.

To answer the question! If I was in your position I would check and fold to a bet. I wouldnt even try and bluff this.

Dawdy

fnord_too
01-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I usually fire about 300 at this pot and give up if I don't win it right there. Of course whether I fire or not, or give up or not, depends on the opponents, but that is my standard. You are the pre flop raiser, if neither player has an ace (or a set, or a big draw like K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif) they will drop. If they are smart and have a decent ace like AJ, they wont be thrilled either since you may have them in real bad shape. An ace will either raise to find out where it is, or try to see the showdown cheaply most of the time. A tricky aggressive player may semi-bluf or pure bluff raise, so if you know you are up against someone who can do that I would check.

Short version: Firing at this pot is my SOP, but it is not automatic.

partygirluk
01-11-2005, 12:13 PM
If I player calls an UTG raise with AJ, then they won't get away from it when an Ace flops.

On the good side they won't get away from it on a Jxx flop either /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dawdy
01-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Your in danger if anyone calls with an Ace no matter how you play it.
What your trying to avois is getting a call from CO as he/she is the only one who can knock you out, you have everyone else out chipped.

Dawdy

fnord_too
01-11-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I player calls an UTG raise with AJ, then they won't get away from it when an Ace flops.

On the good side they won't get away from it on a Jxx flop either /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I aggree, but they may give you two free cards because they think they are outkicked (or beat even worse). Usually you will get raised by a hand like AJ (as sugested, calling an UTG with AJ is dubious, so why wouldn't they raise a hand that likely has them crushed?), but if you face a raise you have an easy fold. You should pick up the pot enough to make it worth firing at. Also, you will occasionally get to a show down for no chips and be shown a smaller pair.

On the rare occurence you spike a king and bust someone who smooth called your flop bet with AT, you will get a nice warm glow that only comes from someone ranting about how "this site is rigged!!" and "you suck! you are the worst player ever!" Ah, I feel warm and fuzzy just thinking about people going off on me along those lines.

fnord_too
01-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Oh, one other thing, I bet out about the same amount here regardless. So if I hit a set, I am betting the same T300 (or T400, or whatever is standard for me at that time.)