PDA

View Full Version : Question re. Stop n Go

partygirluk
01-11-2005, 08:10 AM
The Stop N Go is typically advised with middle pairs such as 88/99. However, if you do pull off an obvious Stop N Go, and only do it with these hands, you are giving away too much information about your hand.

So my question is: If you have 0 F.E. preflop but expect to have some F.E. postflop and you want to go all in on this hand, should you Stop N Go on every hand? 88/AQ/AA, whatever?

theantelope
01-11-2005, 08:30 AM
No.

I'll let others elaborate.

Zinzan
01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Stop N Go is typically advised with middle pairs such as 88/99.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you do pull off an obvious Stop N Go, and only do it with these hands, you are giving away too much information about your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't typically be using the stop-n-go enough to develop a tell. Besides, say you are the short-stack in the BB with t1600 (average is t9000), but you have to put t600 in the blind. Minimum raise to you, and you call (you have no fold equity). The flop comes K62. Wouldn't you push your last t400 whether you had a king or not?

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is: If you have 0 F.E. preflop but expect to have some F.E. postflop and you want to go all in on this hand, should you Stop N Go on every hand? 88/AQ/AA, whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have zero fold equity, why wouldn't you want to go ahead and push now when you believe you have the best hand?

-Z

poolshark
01-11-2005, 06:02 PM
quote/
If you have zero fold equity, why wouldn't you want to go ahead and push now when you believe you have the best hand?
/quote

Zinzan,

I think the idea is to push out overcards in and rare occasions higher pair - eg push 99 out when you have 88 on a K high flop

Zinzan
01-11-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
quote/
/quote

Zinzan,

I think the idea is to push out overcards in and rare occasions higher pair - eg push 99 out when you have 88 on a K high flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Got that, but I was really commenting more on her example/question of AA. If you know they'll call preflop, why even consider stop-n-go when you might lose them (and some additional chips)?

partygirluk
01-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks for your detailed answer.

Here is my reasoning. The stop n go is used when a reraise all in would give your opponent such pot odds that he can not make a mistake by calling. Obviously you would like him to make a mistake if possible.

So you call with (say 77) and push on a rag flop hoping he will either fold (his AK) and you avoid two potential bullets or he will incorrectly call. Or you push on an AKQ flop and hope he incorrectly folds his 99.

I like doing it with a high card hand too. Say you have AJs and decide to Stop N Go. A couple of good things can happen. You could push on a rag flop and he could (incorrectly) fold his AK. Or you could push on a Jxx or Axx flop and induce him into an incorrect call. Or on KQ3 and make him fold his 99. Or you stop n go with KQ and push on an Ace high flop - that could have nice consequences.