PDA

View Full Version : Over-pair hand. Mistakes?

kongo_totte
01-11-2005, 02:01 AM
NL $1 BB 8-handed online. I'm dealt Jd Jx UTG w/ about $100. Villian is on the button w/ about the same.

I limp, CO limps, button limps BB checks, 4 to the flop.

Flop ($4:50):3d 9d 8c

BB checks, I bet $5, CO folds button calls, BB folds.

Turn ($14:50): 2c

I bet $9, button calls.

River ($32:50): Td (about the worse card in the deck)

I bet $12, he raises to $24, I call.

Thoughts?

kongo_totte
01-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Should I interpret the lack of responses that I played it OK?

amoeba
01-11-2005, 12:23 PM
I think its ok but may I ask why the limp preflop instead of a raise?

kongo_totte
01-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Well, J J is one of the hands I'm not sure how to play from EP pre-flop. I some times limp and some times raise, depending on the situation. This time I limped, next time I'll raise. Should I decide for a line, and go with that?

The main reason I limp is because I'm not comfortable calling a re-raise with it, and all the re-raising that goes on w/ A AK today, a raise tend to get me in trouble, making me fold the best hand preflop.

amoeba
01-11-2005, 12:35 PM
is there a lot of reraises with AK at the game you play?

anyways, whether you should call the reraise is entirely dependent on stack size. With a 100BB stack size that you have here, I would be more than comfortable calling a reraise from AK especially since an A or K will only hit 1/3 of the time. Also, I feel that the preflop raise with JJ can fold out race hands like AQ, KQ.

Gainsay
01-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Yuck.

First off, I definitely think you should be raising JJ from UTG. If you don't like calling a re-raise, fold. I don't think it's optimal, but it will cost you less than playing JJ like this will.

You made big bets on flop and turn. I might have bet slightly less, but I think those are decent bets assuming you want to charge a person for the obvious draws on the board. The problem with the idea of charging people for draws in NL is that it only works if you don't pay off big for them when the draws come in. You gave way to much action on the river when you're almost definitely beat. Against what hands does that $12 bet help you? Maybe 10 10 folds, and maybe Jc 10c calls, but both of these are pretty unlikely. You aren't preventing any other bluffs from missed draws because the other draws haven't missed. A busted club flush draw is pretty unlikely because of the flop bet.

ericlambi
01-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Limping with JJ is definitely better than folding pre-flop. Raising is probably correct, but I do so much better with 99/TT playing them for set value from early position that I've considered changing the way I play JJ to the same. I can't seem to make myself not raise Pre-flop with it though.

Anyway, the river bet might prevent him from being bluffed out, but I think you are beat so often that check/fold a large bet and check/call a small bet is the best line when that card comes.