PDA

View Full Version : this Aqua Teen business

PhatTBoll
01-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't get this show?

I have many friends from different walks of life who swear this is one of the funniest shows on television. Lots of people here seem to feel the same way.
I'm an open-minded guy, it's usually pretty easy to make me laugh, but there's just something I don't get about this show. I've watched maybe 6 or 7 episodes of it and I have chuckled softly maybe two or three times. No hearty laughs, no boisterous guffaws. And it's not like we're supposed to feel any attachment to the characters, so I assume starting from the beginning wouldn't help either.

So I guess what I'm asking is...what the hell is the appeal?

Uston
01-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Don't know what to tell you. I think Master Shake is one of the funniest characters in the history of television.

Sponger15SB
01-11-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm #2

I have no idea what is going on when I watch it, and I only watch it when my friends make me.

juanez
01-11-2005, 01:50 AM
I think it's just the absurdity of it all that makes me laugh my ass off every time, especially when Carl (the fat slob neighbor in flip flops and the wife beater shirt) makes an appearance. He reminds me of this guy I used to be roommates with years ago (his name was Frank).

Sea Lab is even more absurd.

Maybe the pounds and pounds of mushrooms I've consumed over the years contributes to my liking of these shows. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BottlesOf
01-11-2005, 01:50 AM
When it comes to TV/movies, I don't laugh out loud much. I find things funny, hysterical even, but rarely do I heartily laugh.

Anyway, ATH is hilarious, what's wrong with you?

Have you watched other Adult Swim shows? Many of them are much weirder.

PhatTBoll
01-11-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, ATH is hilarious, what's wrong with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you watched other Adult Swim shows? Many of them are much weirder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've watched a couple, and my reaction has been pretty meh, except for FG and Futurama, of course. In particular that Tom Goes to the Mayor show is unimaginably awful and it's plain to see that I am never going to like it. The others I am at least willing to give another try.

It's not the weird I don't like, it's the lack of perceived humor.

Bob Moss
01-11-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't know what to tell you. I think Master Shake is one of the funniest characters in the history of television.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Him and Bender. "Wait a second. Did you rip off your own arm as a joke?"

Bob

ArchAngel71857
01-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Super Milk Chan makes Aqua Teen Hunger Force look normal.

i like FG and Futurama, and Sealab. I don't think Aqua Teen Hunger Force is all that.

-AA

PhatTBoll
01-11-2005, 02:32 AM
What little I have seen of Sealab has been kind of amusing. I hear it used to be a lot better than it is so I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

dtbog
01-11-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the entire point of the show is to be stoned when watching it.

Seriously.

Otherwise-- I agree. It makes no sense whatsoever.
-DB

daryn
01-11-2005, 03:01 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah

wonderwes
01-11-2005, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it does help. There are reoccuring themes and jokes that you will see. The fascination with Carl's pool, how anything they throw on the ground explodes, and just the randomness of the show.

It is key to listen to all the lines. Sometimes it goes by way to fast.

waffle
01-11-2005, 06:17 AM
There's very little good about this show. Futurama has never failed to elicit boisterous guffaws, but Aqua Teen is neither clever nor funny .. it's tactless just for the sake of being tactless.

ClaytonN
01-11-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aqua Teen is neither clever nor funny .. it's tactless just for the sake of being tactless.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why it's so watchable. To me, anyways.

At that time of night I don't want to watch complicated humor shows with deep plot twists like Futurama.

ATHF all the way.

AngryCola
01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Obsiously you just don't have the right sense of humor for it. Especially considering you don't think any of the other AS shows are funny.

In short, you don't get it. But that's not a bad thing. It's just not for you.

AngryCola
01-11-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Super Milk Chan makes Aqua Teen Hunger Force look normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

An an aside, I find Super Milk Chan to be unwatchable.

AngryCola
01-11-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but Aqua Teen is neither clever nor funny .. it's tactless just for the sake of being tactless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second part of this statement makes no sense. I think you are misusing a word here.

I should also mention that you are wrong about the first bit.

PhatTBoll
01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, but it does help. There are reoccuring themes and jokes that you will see. The fascination with Carl's pool, how anything they throw on the ground explodes, and just the randomness of the show.

It is key to listen to all the lines. Sometimes it goes by way to fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured there were some inside jokes I was missing out on. I'll keep an eye out. I should probably note that I had the same kind of problems with South Park when it first came on and now it's my favorite show on TV. Of course, it's a lot better now than at first.

IsaacW
01-12-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have many friends from different walks of life who swear this is one of the funniest shows on television. Lots of people here seem to feel the same way.
I'm an open-minded guy, it's usually pretty easy to make me laugh, but there's just something I don't get about this show. I've watched maybe 6 or 7 episodes of it and I have chuckled softly maybe two or three times. No hearty laughs, no boisterous guffaws. And it's not like we're supposed to feel any attachment to the characters, so I assume starting from the beginning wouldn't help either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, you don't like our show? Then you must be a nerd. And you know what happens to nerds, don't you PhatTBoll?

On the Moon nerds have their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks!

Reef
01-12-2005, 04:36 PM
adult swim is clearly meant to be watched while stoned

drewjustdrew
01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

6 or 7 shows. You have awesome patience. You must be a great poker player.

I agree. The show is not funny. I have friends who try to convince me that it is, but they are wrong. Same goes for MST3000.

AngryCola
01-12-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but they are wrong. Same goes for MST3000.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can an opinion about entertainment be "wrong"?

It can't be.

You are wrong and clearly lack a strong mind.

Stork
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's very little good about this show. Futurama has never failed to elicit boisterous guffaws, but Aqua Teen is neither clever nor funny .. it's tactless just for the sake of being tactless.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so wrong. Aqua Teen Hunger force is one of the funniest shows ever, and by far. It is clever and hysterical, and I'm not sure why you feel its tactless, but I don't agree. The subtle jokes and the dialogue rules all up and down. Adult Swim kicks ass.

thatpfunk
01-12-2005, 08:33 PM
When is this on? What channel? I've never even heard of it. Maybe that's a good thing?

ClaytonN
01-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Cartoon Network

Midnight

AngryCola
01-12-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When is this on? What channel? I've never even heard of it. Maybe that's a good thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.adultswim.com/