PDA

View Full Version : my biggest leak - Playing Overcards

TALLBrad
01-11-2005, 12:31 AM
I see this happen to me a couple of times during a multi-hour session playing 3 tables...I'm trying to balance this will taking too many weak hands to a showdown. When I see the flop I'm going to the showdown about 60%, but only winning about 35% of them. Was this correct play? How do you value the overcards?

Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="red">Hero folds</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

There are 5.5 BB as it come to me for a decision. I've got 6 overcards, and the 4 Jacks for a nut straight. Two of the Overcards and a Jack are tainted to possible flush.

River: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Shillx
01-11-2005, 12:37 AM
If you would have raised preflop, you would have won this pot dude. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't mind the call preflop (but I would still raise because it is fun and slightly more +EV) unless these players are pisspoor and limp trash in which case limping along is a tragedy. Post flop looks good.

Brad

SCfuji
01-11-2005, 12:47 AM
preflop: raise
flop: bet
turn: hopefully you can check this through for a free river
river: if you get your straight or overcard pairs bet... check or fold if you miss.

TALLBrad
01-11-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you would have raised preflop, you would have won this pot dude. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't mind the call preflop (but I would still raise because it is fun and slightly more +EV) unless these players are pisspoor and limp trash in which case limping along is a tragedy. Post flop looks good.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

my VP$P was around 9% for this particular session due to many of the hands getting raises (and re-raised) pre-flop.