PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

tmm3188
01-10-2005, 11:55 PM
i was talking to a buddy of mine. he put forth this scenario to me and what he would do. what about you?

you are at the world series of poker. it's the first hand and you are the big blind. you are dealt AA. the first player to act goes all in and everyone up to the small blind calls. what do you do?

he said, "i would turn my cards over and say, 'have fun guys.'"

he told me that he played it out a bunch of times giving the other players hands that would be good enough to call all ins with. most of the time small to medium pocket pairs would win.

what do you think?

gummy d
01-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Assuming you have no bankroll etc. i'd have to agree with your friend and just enjoy watching. of course, you are getting a slight discount because you're in the big blind /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cowboyzfan
01-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Would I put all my money in, with the best hand, and a guarantee to be the tournament chip leader by a large margin if I won the race? Yes. But what do I know.

mosquito
01-11-2005, 02:30 AM
Gee, should I give up the chance to be an instant
chip leader, just because I will not win more than
50% of the time.

No.

I'm getting great odds here, I'm better than 1 in 3
to triple up against random cards, and I have many
of the typical hands involved here dominated.

The only letdown is that one of the others may have
an AA also, which makes us a large favorite to split
the pot.

Sign me up, now! I want this chance!

mosquito
01-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Thinking further, unless there were either:

1) more than two opponents, where I might not
like my odds of survival, awww I'm still probably
calling here.

2)It's on the bubble or in the money, I have a
stack size that strategically dictates survival,
so moving up the ladder becomes more important than
winning the pot. Tough to visualize, but possible
in theory.

Pepsquad
01-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Please don't take this an an insult, but the chances of your being outmatched and outplayed at the WSOP are greater than at any other tournament in poker. Everyone pushes and I look down to find aces? I wouldn't be able to shove my stack in quick enough!

TStoneMBD
01-11-2005, 04:43 AM
call. your hand has EV in the pot even though its certainly not the favorite to win.

PoBoy321
01-11-2005, 05:09 AM
I actually find this a harder spot to be in than most. Assmuing that you want to win the WSOP main even, I might fold. For the first few levels, I'm only looking to win a bunch of small pots rather than any big ones. Winning this pot would put you in a good position for now, but after a few levels, in no better a position than anyone else. I'd hate to get outdrawn with AA (as you're very likley to do against mosty all-in type hands) and busted out of the WSOP.