PDA

View Full Version : Myopic Zeal

Zeno
01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
This is rich; made my day---- CBS Fires Four (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002146916_webcbs10.html)

Part of the article:

[ QUOTE ]
NEW YORK – Four CBS executives were fired today following the release of an independent investigation that said a "myopic zeal" led to a "60 Minutes Wednesday" story about President Bush's military service that relied on allegedly forged documents.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

Popinjay
01-11-2005, 07:15 AM
What does that mean?

arabie
01-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Myopic zeal basically means: an ignorantly or subjectively founded desire towards an ideal or cause.

I'm sure Zeno will correct me if this wrong.

Zeno
01-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Shortsighted earnestness or a fervent blindness is the more literally way to express the meaning and more in tune with the context of the article.

Myopic zeal is just a great phrase, in my opinion.

-Zeno

Broken Glass Can
01-12-2005, 05:01 PM
CBS News executives know the identity of the person who gave "60 Minutes II" producer Mary Mapes forged documents on President Bush's National Guard record, but are refusing to identify the source publicly.

That's the claim from NBC Washington bureau chief Tim Russert, who leveled the bombshell allegation Wednesday morning. "I think the interesting thing is the documents - where did they come from?" Russert told radio host Don Imus. "Somebody at CBS knows where the documents came from - and the credibility of that person, and the agenda of that person," he said.

Taken aback, Imus asked, "So they all know, in other words?" Russert replied bluntly, "Yeah."

The NBC newser said it was wrong for Mapes' boss Dan Rather not to reveal at the outset - if not the source's identity, at least the fact that he or she had partisan motives.

So why doesn't CBS News come clean now and reveal the identity of the person who forced Rather to retire from his anchor post and destroyed the credibility of its news division?

"They can't give up their source - they can't compromise their source," Russert insisted.