PDA

View Full Version : Charity Tournament in Ontario Canada..... Legal?

SlipFits
01-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey, I have no idea where to post this so here it goes... if you have a better suggestion, please let me know.

I got an invitation from a friend for "Toronto Poker Circuit" Charity Tournament. It is being held in a large banquet hall with food provided and door prizes. Anyways... it is an 80 person tourney, with a $200 entry fee.

They say that proceeds will be donated to EasterSeals. The invitation references www.easterseals.com (http://www.easterseals.com), the american site. I have checked out the Canadian site as well and can't find anything saying this is a "legitimate" tourney.

Is there anybody out there that knows the law in Ontario about Charity gaming??

I'd love to play, but don't want the worries of an illegal tourney.... especially when it's being advertised.

Thanks guys!!

jojobinks
01-10-2005, 09:21 PM
i don't know. i do know that in chicago, with a liscence, you could do this, as long as all the cash went to expenses and the charity, and none went to prizes. all prize money needs to come from sponsors.

your thing sounds way to public to be shady. any banquet hall that hosted an illegal gambling event would need to be ready to lose it's business license...i doubt that's the story.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif