PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Step - comments please

midnight24
01-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Early in tourney, not much of a read on UTG. Folding really bothered me here but I still had a decent stack - Comments on the way i played this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t130)
MP1 (t1120)
Hero (t1175)
MP3 (t860)
CO (t1690)
Button (t865)
SB (t1705)
BB (t1530)
UTG (t925)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t45.

Flop: (t195) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, UTG calls t120.

Turn: (t495) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t225</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t720

grickey
01-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I would not have raised from middle position with a limper here,but i don't think your fold is wrong.You still have plenty of chips and it's very early.I fold and wait for a better spot.

DemonDeac
01-10-2005, 09:00 PM
you're gonna have to realize that AQ sucks in a full game(7 or more). it can lose too many times. easy fold for me

Marcotte
01-10-2005, 09:00 PM
If Villain is a strong player, I'd be worried about laying the best hand down. Your raise on the flop screams "PLEASE NO MORE HEARTS!" so a perceptive player picks up some bluffing outs. That being said, if you really want to protect against the flush draw, I think you have to raise more (225-250).

In one of my books (probably TPFAP) the author mentions that top NL players sometimes wait until the turn to raise TPTK-like hands to make sure the flush/str8 card doesn't come. I'm not sure if this is a better play with big or small stacks though. Someone care to enlighten me?

david050173
01-10-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Villain is a strong player, I'd be worried about laying the best hand down. Your raise on the flop screams "PLEASE NO MORE HEARTS!" so a perceptive player picks up some bluffing outs. That being said, if you really want to protect against the flush draw, I think you have to raise more (225-250).

In one of my books (probably TPFAP) the author mentions that top NL players sometimes wait until the turn to raise TPTK-like hands to make sure the flush/str8 card doesn't come. I'm not sure if this is a better play with big or small stacks though. Someone care to enlighten me?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could do that but then you are giving them a free card and are not making money the 2/3s of the time the flush doesn't come. If the turn wasn't a heart, you could bet big and make them pay to see the last card.

I am not sure if raising another 50-100 chips is going to make a whole lot of difference.

Preflop I think either have to just call or bet more (100-120).

Texas Pete
01-10-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great observation. Another possibility is he's slow playing a set but he's all the sudden afraid of the flush. He could be ready to fold if his turn bet is challenged all-in.

scotty34
01-11-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What a great observation. Another possibility is he's slow playing a set but he's all the sudden afraid of the flush. He could be ready to fold if his turn bet is challenged all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know about that one. He made a substantial enough raise on the flop to suggest he already had a made hand. I would not put an opponent on a flush draw in this case, and would pay them off with my set in the rare occassion that he was on a draw.