PDA

View Full Version : Net Poker/Ski Bum

01-31-2002, 01:35 PM
Hello

Another month has gone by in net poker/ski land. At some point I'll have to give these up, but after just starting posting here again it will not be happening this month. On a side note I wish to thank everyone for making me feel welcome again.

At the beginning of November my wife and I went to the season's opening of one of the two bars in town. The locals and wanna-be ski bums, who are in a few weeks early to line-up jobs and that all important worker's season's ski pass, were sharing their plans for the winter. This boarder was going to be a cook, with work hours after the lifts closed of course. Others were telling how they had a job as a maid or ski instructer. When they turned to us we both said at the same time " We play poker on the internet" No one said anything but the boarder who said "Dudes, nice gig"

It has been a nice gig. We will make it thru the winter and longer. Even with a 200BB downdraft the last two weeks, the two months before that were great. We had expected early last year to be getting some money out of PokerSpot, as it turned out we were being little optimistic, OK out-right foolish. So, we ran our credit cards slowly up planning on this money to pay them. Ah hell, we drove those puppies up fast. When we decided to leave MS they were 15K. DON'T TRY THIS YOURSELF. We are trained professionals. We know the dangers are. Yeah, right.

Anyway, I quit my job and we took some of the money we had and paid the CC's down a little and moved to Brian Head for the ski season in September. Poker started treating us good after Thanksgiving and we had two losses, under $150 between then and a couple of days before Christmas when we had to drive to CA. The day before, the last play for a week, I blow off $1200. Merry F'in Christmas, I'll tell you that for nothing.

After the holidays and all the time we were in Reno we won, it was some kind of New World Order. That was then and this week I couldn't make a winning hand holding out two cards. We paid the CC's down to 3K and paid all the bills, some much in advance to take the heat off.

One of the reasons I'm sharing this with you, other than I get alot pleasure from gloating, is that people playing poker for a living take on a lot of stress without a steady income. This is a hard way to make an easy living, anyone telling you otherwise is lying. So, if you decide to jump off the same cliff, realize that the most likely outcome is a big fat SPLATT when you hit the bottom.

We live in a cool little town, one of the town councilmen got caught growing 169 pot plants in his condo unit. This could effect his chances of getting elected next year, but maybe not. I have finally stopped taking the time to lock the door at night. Nothing ever happens here.

Slopes have a foot of new snow, but at night it goes below zero. It's damn cold in this winter wonderland. As soon as it warms, just a little, I'm going to try snowshoeing on some of the trails that I hiked this fall.

I feel like a kid early Christmas morning with the PPM's starting today. I thought these were going to be a good deal in the fall, but on hearing from Mike Sexton that most of the tables for the second round were to be 3 handed I'm jumping for joy. I'm going to get a sampling of how many chips are at tonight's first round tables. The value of each round one should be ($3000(my stack)/(average amount of table chips))X.1X$10,500. My best guess right now is between $333 and about $500. Say about $400 each, for a value of $2000 which cost me, because I play really bad, $900.

I feel pretty good going into this and hope to have five fun-filled days of poker followed by 7 fun-filled days on ship. I need a poker cruise and I need it BAD.

Well, sorry to cut this short, lol, but the lifts just opened and they are calling my name.

Have a nice day.

MS Sunshine

01-31-2002, 02:52 PM
As always, it is nice to read your posts. I'm glad to see someone doing it full time, but willing to share both the upside and downside.

I'm curious about how you are doing this with your wife. Does she play at the same limits? What are your limits? What kind of job did you leave and why?

I've got a great job and a great career, although it is clear that poker is my first love. I might one day take the same plunge, but it will have to be when my wife is ready for a change.

Playing online has been a helluva great second income. When it exceeds my primary income, I'll probably give it some serious thought.

Congratulation and may you keep flopping the nuts.

01-31-2002, 04:33 PM
He was a floor person in a poker room where I used to play and his wife plays better than he does! LOL

01-31-2002, 07:23 PM
Hi MdM

You're the guy I post this for. Really. I'm a poker shift supervisor. I'm actually pretty good at it. I also enjoy the people I meet, but playing is my first and only love. I'm working a few tournaments this year. It smooths out the bumps, of random chance, and while we work we continue to play, we take our computer.

We play $10-20 mostly with $3-6 in the second window.

It is a we, if I say anything other than I'm a little better short-handed and she is a little better in a ring game, we will get ten posts saying I'm full of crap-ola.

I make $40K as a supervisor and hope to make at least $30K playing. It is a great trade to live here for less money.

Thanks for liking my posts.

MS Sunshine

01-31-2002, 07:28 PM
Thank you. Thank you, very very much.

Hope your ISP connection goes out tonight during the 3rd round of the PPM's and your dog chews up your favorite shoes.

MS Sunshine

01-31-2002, 11:52 PM
Your posts are the only thing worth reading on this forum nowadays.

Which tournaments are you planning on attending? I would like to buy you beer sometime for all the enjoyment youve given me since I started reading this forum. I live in the UK but I come over quite regularly for some tournaments.

Cheers,

Keith

02-01-2002, 03:27 AM
Mr & Mrs MS, whereabouts are you playing now, haven't seen you around in a while.

Hope you're well, you sound it

02-01-2002, 03:33 AM
Could not agree more. Hoping to win a cruise so I can buy Mr and Mrs Sunshine a blender drink with a little tiny unbrella.

Adam.

02-01-2002, 11:57 AM
TO MR and MS

Your stories is beautiful and is an inspiration to me and many others, please continue to share your lives with us... It is very encouraging.

SWIFTY

02-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have found that a poker cruise is the best place to collect drinks in the whole world.

MS Sunshine