PDA

View Full Version : TP + Flush Draw.....Overplaying my hand?

TxDozerMan
01-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

This is a hand I am having trouble with, This situation came up twice for me recently. Am I overplaying my hand here?

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 (t785)
MP1 (t655)
MP2 (t1500)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t640)</font>
CO (t670)
Button (t650)
SB (t675)
<font color="#C00000">BB <font color="#A500AF">(Villan)</font> (t780)</font>
UTG (t1140)
UTG+1 (t505)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB <font color="#A500AF">(Villan)</font> calls t70.

Flop: (t215) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villan checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villan raises to t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t540 (All-In)</font>, Villan calls t290.

When villan check raises, what possible hands do you put him on? Should I fold here? I am thinking that there is at least a good chance he just saw (intended) weakness in my smallish flop bet. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Bigwig
01-10-2005, 06:34 PM
You played this hand just fine. No reason to beat yourself up over it. Well done.

I might have even just checked the flop, hoping to get him to bluff the turn. Sometimes you just lose.

bigredlemon
01-10-2005, 06:49 PM
How tricky is he? I wouldn't be all that comfortable checking that flop with anything. Maybe a set if he was sure that you were going to bet. I can't see him semi-bluffing a straight or flush draw here since he doesn't have position on you so he wont be able to buy a free card. I find it odd to min raise with a set here as well since he's giving good odds to draw to a flush. Since you bet about half the pot, he might think you've missed and was making a steal, so he tried a resteal.... or maybe i'm way off base?

HoldemJunkie
01-11-2005, 01:58 PM
What was the outcome of the hand?

ColdestCall
01-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I think Villain's play on the flop here means he has trips a big percentage of the time, and I think you played it fine anyway.

floppy
01-11-2005, 03:04 PM
What do all of you think of just pushing on the flop? The pot is almost 1/2 of Hero's stack, so any bet is going to make you pot committed anyway if just called, and even more so if raised (as we saw above).

Is there any advantage to being subtle and betting some thing other than all-in? To encourage TP worse kickers or dead flush draws to call?

bigredlemon
01-11-2005, 04:08 PM
What hands could call an all-in on that flop? Making small bets will encourage flushes to chase, and that's where the money is.

As for the min raise: he might have read your small bet as a positional steal and used a min-raise to buy a free card. I think this hand was well played.

TxDozerMan
01-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Getting the worse flushes and other top pair hands to call was the point of the small bet on the flop, as I wanted them to hang around. Villan shows 88 for flopped set. The turn was the beautiful 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif , but the river was the horrendous 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Thanks for the help.

PktAcesSoWht
01-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Maybe I am not as experienced as the rest of you, but why not just call his raise? I play a lot of single table and multi-tables, and I have found it advantageous to not push it all in, in this situation. If the turn comes good for you and you make the flush you could bet it out and if he put you all in here, you would welcome it having the nuts at that point. He could quite easily be bluffing, and trying to get you to go away protecting a missed hand or pair of his own.

bigredlemon
01-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Given Hero'ss stack size and the flop, his entire stack is going in sooner or later. His all in isn't going to get anything to fold except a pure bluff, and he isn't going to get any more money from a purebluff anyway. Might as well get your money in while you have what is most likely the best hand and the best draw.