PDA

View Full Version : dark tower

sublime
01-10-2005, 05:33 PM
i just started reading wolves of calla (so please nobody post anything about the series past this point, please) and i got to wondering if anybody else thinks this series would make a good movie/trilolgy type deal. if so who would you envision as roland? i could see hugh jackman pulling it off. of course i think a younger clint eastwood would be perfect.

jakethebake
01-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Is this some fruity sci fi thing?

chrisdhal
01-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Clint even now would be OK. Roland has been around a long time, so an older guy works fine too. Clint has that weather beaten look that would suit him perfectly. Awesome books.

RolandOfGilead
01-10-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just started reading wolves of calla (so please nobody post anything about the series past this point, please) and i got to wondering if anybody else thinks this series would make a good movie/trilolgy type deal. if so who would you envision as roland? i could see hugh jackman pulling it off. of course i think a younger clint eastwood would be perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hugh Jack-man?!?! What manner of codswallop is this?

You have forgotten the face of your father.

Clearly, Ray Zee should play me.

sublime
01-10-2005, 05:57 PM

steven king series

sublime
01-10-2005, 05:59 PM

ray zee would rule. however, it must be somebody from hollywood. any suggestions?

hoyaboy1
01-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Could only be done as a miniseries on HBO. Hollywood trilogy would never work.

sublime
01-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Could only be done as a miniseries on HBO. Hollywood trilogy would never work.

it would be quite long and expensive. i could dig an HBO series though.

ThaSaltCracka
01-10-2005, 06:09 PM
what are these books about?

RolandOfGilead
01-10-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ray zee would rule. however, it must be somebody from hollywood. any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

There can never be a perfect fit. Such is the nature of ka.

Steve McQueen had my eyes, but he has gone on to the clearing at the end of the path.

Scott Glenn has a good look, and fires his weapon left-handed, as I have been relegated to. Perhaps some wizardry can be done to make his eyes blue.

Clint Eastwood had the look, but the world has moved on.

hutz
01-10-2005, 06:19 PM
They are an absolute must-read for anyone with a decent imagination and an appreciation for post-apocalyptic fantasy stories. In a nutshell, the books center on a group of people (one is an old-fashioned gunslinger (think Clint Eastwood, as others have mentioned) and the others are a former heroin junkie, a limousine liberal who turns out be have a badass streak to her, a kid, and an animal that is effectively a highly intelligent dog/opossum mix) who battle dark forces that are trying to destroy all of the worlds in the universe (the theory is that there are multitudes of parallel worlds and one true world). I'll stop there in order to avoid giving any of the plot away. Be warned, though, that the average length of books 2-7 is at least 500 pages. If you get into them, they're real page turners.

sublime
01-10-2005, 06:26 PM
hutz-

great explanation.

TSC- Go pick up "the gunslinger" its the first book and if you like that (you will) you will enjoy the rest. i just picked up book #5 after reading #4 a few years ago, and feel like i found an old friend.

Paluka
01-10-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fruity is a terrible adjective if you are trying to make fun of sci-fi/fantasy. I have never met or heard of a gay man enjoying these genres.

PhatTBoll
01-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Good topic. My wife and I have this conversation from time to time. She thinks Harrison Ford would be best, but I disagree. He is too earnest for my liking. Clint Eastwood would be a little too obvious, and Viggo Mortensen would have been good but also too obvious after LOTR. I may get flamed for this but Billy Bob Thornton would be an intriguing choice.

As for whether it would work as a movie, I have no idea. The problem with adapting King's works to the big screen has always been getting the audience to care about the characters. In his books, he spends a lot of time doing this. For example, almost the entire second book of The Dark Tower is character development. That's fine for books, but problematic for movies. A lot of stuff would have to be cut, and if done wrong would really piss me off.

sublime
01-10-2005, 06:39 PM
billy bob has that weathered look that would be needed. harrison ford just doesnt seem right, although i cant say why.

hutz
01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for whether it would work as a movie, I have no idea. The problem with adapting King's works to the big screen has always been getting the audience to care about the characters. In his books, he spends a lot of time doing this. For example, almost the entire second book of The Dark Tower is character development. That's fine for books, but problematic for movies. A lot of stuff would have to be cut, and if done wrong would really piss me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a problem with adapting most of King's books to the big screen. There are so many times where, in the books, he tells you what the character is thinking or he replays a memory flashback, both of which are fundamental to character development, and both of which typically do not translate well to film. That's why "simple" King books like Pet Sematary and Misery work as movies much better than It did as a TV series. The Talisman is one of my favorite books of all time, but I think it would suck as a movie. I fear the Dark Tower series would be just as painful to watch.

ThaSaltCracka
01-10-2005, 07:16 PM
I'll have to check it out then.

Who is it written by?

sublime
01-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Who is it written by?

steven king

ThaSaltCracka
01-10-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is it written by?

steven king

[/ QUOTE ]wtf, are you serious?

sublime
01-10-2005, 07:24 PM
wtf, are you serious?

sorry, stephen king.

offTopic
01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who is it written by?

steven king

[/ QUOTE ]wtf, are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...after 10K posts on the Chick-fil-A-animated-boob-gif-hottest-13-yo-troll-the-angst-ridden-twentysomethings-favorite-condom-shaved-vs-unshaved-snatch forum, you're playing the literary highbrow card? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-10-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're playing the literary highbrow card?

[/ QUOTE ] wtf? what are you talking about? I didn't know King wrote anything like this. slow your roll dogg.

hutz
01-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Yeah, apart from The Talisman, it is very different from the other books King has written. Definitely invest a few hours in reading the first book in the series (about 200 pages). If you like that one, you'll be ready to dive into the others.

I'm always jealous of people who have never read this series, never watched The Sopranos, etc., because they get to experience those things for the first time. By that same logic I should be jealous of virgins, but I'm not. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

offTopic
01-10-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, I don't think The Gunslinger is enough story to stand on it's own, but then again, it's been years since I read it. I could go for a three-part, six-hour, cable miniseries that encompassed The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three, to see how the story looked on the screen.

liquidboss
01-10-2005, 09:07 PM
One of the best things about the series that I haven't seen mentioned here is the fact that a lot of King's other stories are woven into Roland's tale. If you are an avid reader of Stephen King it makes the series even better.

As for an actor to play Roland, I can't really think of one. Roland is such a cool character I'm not sure I would be happy with any on-screen portrayal. The Dark Tower is just too complex and long a story to be told by a movie, even if it was done like LOTR extended editions.

Inthacup
01-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I got hooked on these books late last year. Ended up reading all 7 in about 2 months. I thought they were very enjoyable. I don't think it would make a very good movie. Not enough action.

Also, my vote for the poster behind 'Roland of Gilead' goes to Jek. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cup

RolandOfGilead
01-10-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got hooked on these books late last year. Ended up reading all 7 in about 2 months. I thought they were very enjoyable. I don't think it would make a very good movie. Not enough action.

Also, my vote for the poster behind 'Roland of Gilead' goes to Jek. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

Were it only true, sai. The House of Eld would be a richer place.

If you can spare a few minutes, read "The Little Sisters of Eluria" in Everything's Eventual. 'Tis a fine tale.

eggzz
01-10-2005, 10:32 PM
This is an excellent series. I also have read 1-4, and was pretty much waiting for the last three to all come out so I can read them all at once. Haven't gotten around to purchasing them yet. I think I'm going to get the whole collection since I've misplaced number one and three.

I heard the whole collection goes for like two hundred clams, but it would be worth it.

I've read everything by King, and on occasion have been disappointed, but not by this work.

If you like this one, check out The Talisman. I enjoyed that very much, and it has similar undertones to these books.

ArchAngel71857
01-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I t would be either a mini series or a 5-7 year tv show. Problem is: way too much for a mini series, but not enough to make a tv show. I say 5-7 years because I could see each book taking a year. But not a lot happens so they'd have to take a lot of artistic license to fill in along the way. And I bet it would be bad.

As far as Roland: Viggo Mortensen.

-AA

jakethebake
01-11-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fruity is a terrible adjective if you are trying to make fun of sci-fi/fantasy. I have never met or heard of a gay man enjoying these genres.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's a yes then?

offTopic
01-12-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roland = Lance Henriksen (http://us.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0114168/Ss/0114168/1-13.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Henriksen,%20Lance)