PDA

View Full Version : Checking the flop with the best hand (semi-crosspost)

mannika
01-10-2005, 05:32 PM
I posted a hand in the small stakes forum which I thought corresponded with an example in HEFAP, p. 171 (see AQs hits the flop when the pot is large (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=1510121 &page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=all))

Anyways, since this seems like a bit more of an advanced topic involving more thought than, "If A and B, then C", I thought I might get some interesting responses here.

Question 1) Do you agree with Sklansky's example and decision here?
Question 2) If so, under what specific situations would you say that this is the correct play?

Here is the example:
"Suppose you have a pair of aces on the button, many players are in, the pot is very large, the flop comes J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and they all check to you. The play is to also check! Then when someone bets on fourth street you raise -- unless a ten or a nine comes off."

Thanks for the input, and for prospective flamers, the reason I didn't post this in Books/Software was in order to get a response from higher stakes players, where I think this situation applies more readily.