PDA

View Full Version : Party NL25 10-max vs 6-max

sourbeaver
01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
- Is 6-max easier to beat than 10-max, assuming winning player ?

- Is the winrate (BB/100) usually better or are winnings higher because of the higher number of hands played ?

- What differs most in your play when sitting at a 6-max table, looser preflop, more bluffing, more aggression with TP and medium-hands ?

- What aspects are most key to success when moving from 10-max to 6-max at NL25 ?

- Can you 4-table 6-max as you would 10-max or is 6-max too read dependant ? What if PT is used ?

- If you play fewer tables, can you make up for the lesser number of hands in terms of winnings ?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I suspect many 10-max players would like to hear some experienced 6-max players on the subject.

Thanks in advance,
Raph

sourbeaver
01-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Added note : the search function has indeed brought me some answers (from archives mostly), but I think some questions are left unanswered and/or needing more details perhaps.

Benal
01-10-2005, 06:42 PM
What I want to know is where is "The distinctive part of Canada"

And yeah, 6max is where it's at. Don't bother with full ring.

sourbeaver
01-10-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I want to know is where is "The distinctive part of Canada"

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been waiting for that question to pop.
That distinctive part is Quebec (where else ?), too many people have negative preconceived ideas about it so I thought I'd make it a bit more poetic (?) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sephus
01-10-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- Is 6-max easier to beat than 10-max, assuming winning player ?

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. if you are a winning player at 10max because you play supertight, you might have problems at 6-max. but if you are good at hand reading and mixing it up, you will win more at 6max.

[ QUOTE ]
- Is the winrate (BB/100) usually better or are winnings higher because of the higher number of hands played ?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a small sample size (40k hands total, a bit more than half are full ring) but i THINK my long term winrate at 6max is a little bit (around 15% or so) higher. my hourly rate is also higher because, as you said, i play more hands at 6max. also i get more rakeback/hr at 6max, if that matters.

[ QUOTE ]
- What differs most in your play when sitting at a 6-max table, looser preflop, more bluffing, more aggression with TP and medium-hands ?

[/ QUOTE ]

more aggression with TP type hands because you outkick people so often. at 10max usually you can put someone on hands based on "what they would be in a pot with" but at 6max people are more likely to play any two.

[ QUOTE ]
- What aspects are most key to success when moving from 10-max to 6-max at NL25 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't play too tight. be willing to try to push someone off a weakish hand in a biggish pot when it's the only way you can win (OCCASIONALLY) and try to steal pots on the flop or turn if it looks like theres a good chance no one has anything. also, realize that a lot of players will call bets on the flop with nothing, then fold the turn if you bet again. this is why underbetting on the flop can be so good, because if you're stealing a lot you can fire the turns for cheaper.

also, and you should probably already know this, if people are playing insanely loose/loopy, wait for a hand and punish them, don't try to loosen up because you feel like you're giving away too many small pots. win the big ones.

[ QUOTE ]
- Can you 4-table 6-max as you would 10-max or is 6-max too read dependant ? What if PT is used ?

[/ QUOTE ]

it takes a little more attention to 4-table 6max. PT and playerview etc. help with that.

[ QUOTE ]
- If you play fewer tables, can you make up for the lesser number of hands in terms of winnings ?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe. i would try playing fewer tables, see how easy you think it is (try not to be too results oriented, you can play well and lose for longer stretches at 6max) and add more when youre comfortable.

Benal
01-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Ahh.. I thought you'd say Nfld. lol

I love Quebec.. et je suis francais, de l'ontario.

Sponger15SB
01-10-2005, 07:03 PM
nice post sephus.

sourbeaver
01-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Great, never met a french-speaker on these boards before, mighty nice !

Were you born in Qc ?

sourbeaver
01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also i get more rakeback/hr at 6max, if that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that does factor in quite a bit in the long run.

[ QUOTE ]
more aggression with TP type hands because you outkick people so often. at 10max usually you can put someone on hands based on "what they would be in a pot with" but at 6max people are more likely to play any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you find you often run into some weird made-draw or 2-pair with your TP because they will play any two ? Maybe that's not too big a factor since they'll pay with weaker kicker more often ?

[ QUOTE ]
don't play too tight. be willing to try to push someone off a weakish hand in a biggish pot when it's the only way you can win (OCCASIONALLY) and try to steal pots on the flop or turn if it looks like theres a good chance no one has anything. also, realize that a lot of players will call bets on the flop with nothing, then fold the turn if you bet again. this is why underbetting on the flop can be so good, because if you're stealing a lot you can fire the turns for cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you fire steal attempts more on raised or unraised pot ? What about when you were the PF raiser ? Ex: do you fire at the pot, once/twice, with AK and AQ without a hit ?

I know one needs to loosen up, but to what extent compared to 10-max ? I'm guessing more suited connectors in late position and perhaps some more broadways that are dangerous in 10-max (KQ, KJ, QJ, AT).

[ QUOTE ]
it takes a little more attention to 4-table 6max. PT and playerview etc. help with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is playerview an outside program to PT ?
You can have multiple tables set up on it for a quick look ?

I would like to thank you for your great reply.
Raph

Sephus
01-10-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that does factor in quite a bit in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh well yeah, i meant if you get rakeback.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you find you often run into some weird made-draw or 2-pair with your TP because they will play any two ? Maybe that's not too big a factor since they'll pay with weaker kicker more often ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. a lot of people play badly when they do hit a weird big hand (like a j8 straight or something) though. they either make it easy for you to fold by blowing you off TP etc or fail to extract much value with it by slowplaying the hell out of it a lot of the time. you need to make money by outkicking people, but you also need to let go when people show strength.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you fire steal attempts more on raised or unraised pot ? What about when you were the PF raiser ? Ex: do you fire at the pot, once/twice, with AK and AQ without a hit ?

[/ QUOTE ]

if a random player has raised preflop and i've called his raise, i'm not very likely to try to steal unless it looks like no one else wants the pot. if i'm the PFR i will bet the flop somewhere around 80-85% of the time.

if i raise with AK i will usually just fire once without hitting, depending on the board and opponents. i like to limp with AK and AQ unless it's folded to me in LP.

as far as stealing in unraised pots i do it on a more or less drawless board that figures to have missed people, also if i have some sort of a draw.

[ QUOTE ]
I know one needs to loosen up, but to what extent compared to 10-max ? I'm guessing more suited connectors in late position and perhaps some more broadways that are dangerous in 10-max (KQ, KJ, QJ, AT).

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty good guess.