PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook --> multitabling machine?

e_fermat
01-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I currently run a regular home system with a CRT monitor at 1600 x 1200 which is perfect for 4-tabling. However, now that I want to start 6- and 8-tabling, I started looking into a quality LCD screen as a second monitor. When I started looking around, I noticed instead of an LCD, you can get a full function notebook for just a few hundred bucks more. For instance this Dell laptop seems perfect for 6-tabling:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_8600?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn&~tab=specs tab#tabtop

For less than $1500 you get a 1920 x 1200 display which I calculate to be able to show 6 tables (3 across, 2 down) which about 1/3 screen cutoff on the two sides. Has anyone tried this machine/resolution? This seems perfect or perhaps I just envision sitting out on the back patio (it has built-in WiFi) with a lemonade in the summer playing poker...never mind that I live in Canada and summers are short.

It can also run a second monitor so in a desktop configuration, I would think 10- tabling is quite feasible. Thoughts?

Irieguy
01-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I currently play 8 tables on a single monitor with 2048x1528(or very close to that) resolution, and I can tell you that the lateral overlap is a moderate problem. At 1920 pixels of lateral resolution, I would say that you are basically running a "full overlap" set-up. 300 extra pixels of lateral resolution doesn't give you enough, so I think you still only 4-table with that notebook.

The problem with lateral overlap is that you can't extend the tables off of the monitor, because it is too important to be able to see how many players are at the table. Instead, you have to just have all 3 tables overlapping, so your visibility is actually affected at all 6 tables.

Vertical overlap, on the other hand, is not as big a deal. As long as you have 1500+ pixel resolution vertically, you can overlap only the chat box and have full visibility of all players and action boxes.

So, I would only go the notebook route if my goal was to have portable 4-table capability. But I wouldn't use it to play more than 4 on a screen.

Irieguy

e_fermat
01-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Hmmm...good point. I hadn't thought about the horizontal overlap versus vertical overlap but that makes sense. I'm not sure about Party but at Stars the buttons are on the right hand side so at a minimum, I need access to that side of the window on the right and can't send it offscreen. So much for that idea...

I like the resolution you are running to have 8-tables on one screen but those monitors are about the same price as a 1600x1200 LCD so I guess I just have to choose between one gigantic 50lb monitor or my regular 19" CRT with an LCD on the side. It just seems wrong to buy a brand new CRT in 2005 (the shame...)

Thanks for the input.

Irieguy
01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I found my CRT for $200.

Irieguy

KenProspero
01-10-2005, 05:55 PM
If I read the specs of the laptop correctly, you're looking at a 15.4" monitor. Even if the graphics resolution is sufficient for 8 tables, for me at least, the monitor would be rather small (my poor aging eyes wouldn't be able to keep up).

Lagniappe
01-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I use a Dell 8600 to four table ring games. I haven't worked up to quad tabling SNGs yet but thats my problem, not the laptops.

It's a good computer but it has a tendency to overheat and lockup. Someone created a fan control utility that changes the temperature at which the fans kick on. After installing
that, the overheating problems went away.

I did a sceen cap with six tables open to give you an idea of the overlap. It's not ideal, but I think it would be very possible to play six tables on this screen.

Something you might want to consider is the Dell 9200 laptop. It has the same resolution but the 17 inch screen might be easier on the eyes than the 15.4 inch screen of the 8600.

small screencap (http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=127264)

fullsize screencap (http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=127288)

DonButtons
01-10-2005, 09:06 PM
My dad has that lap top.

I fit four talbes, with enough room to fit in AIM, with a couple IMs on the side with 1920 X 1200 resolution.

REL18
01-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Hay genious's every thought about buying a regular tv running the conversions in the back 42 dollars at circuit city getting a shitty lets say 1999 35 inch tv lets say jvc for 300 bucks. Or how about Two cheaper Flat pannels If u ahve a frys near were u live u can get two of them for about 600 after taxes with majority of them easily running 4 table.

Benholio
01-10-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hay genious's every thought about buying a regular tv running the conversions in the back 42 dollars at circuit city getting a shitty lets say 1999 35 inch tv lets say jvc for 300 bucks. Or how about Two cheaper Flat pannels If u ahve a frys near were u live u can get two of them for about 600 after taxes with majority of them easily running 4 table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh golly gee we aint thoughta none of them idears. Else we mighta figgured out that teevee's don't do high resolution or that 1600x1200 flat pannels cost a hole lot more then 300 each.

e_fermat
01-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks! That was exactly the information I was looking for, I appreciate the screen grab and the heads up on the overheating issue. The overlap at that resolution looks reasonably manageable. I couldn't tell from the tech specs on the website but I imagine you can run a simultaneous second display at 1600x1200?

I'd definitely consider the 9200 or the XPS for the bigger screen although now were talking over two dimes worth of machine...significantly more than just the extra flat panel I was looking at. I better get crackin' at those $50s to make some extra cash if I want one of those!

Lagniappe
01-11-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! That was exactly the information I was looking for, I appreciate the screen grab and the heads up on the overheating issue. The overlap at that resolution looks reasonably manageable. I couldn't tell from the tech specs on the website but I imagine you can run a simultaneous second display at 1600x1200?

I'd definitely consider the 9200 or the XPS for the bigger screen although now were talking over two dimes worth of machine...significantly more than just the extra flat panel I was looking at. I better get crackin' at those $50s to make some extra cash if I want one of those!

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. I was able to attach another monitor and extend my desktop to cover both screens. The laptop supports up to 1920x1200 for an external widescreen monitor or 1600x1200 for a square screen.

It only overheated and locked up occasionally when used for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, I was usually four tableing while listening to music and surfing the internet at the time. It's a known issue and pops up in the Dell support forum all the time. If you google "inspiron 8600 fan control", the first link is to a utility someone created to control the temperature the fans turn on at. After installing it, the laptop has maybe overheated one time.

I really don't have a problem playing four tables on this machine, but a 17" screen sure would make it easier to see the bet sizes at the end of a long session.