PDA

View Full Version : Beware of the minraise

Absolution
01-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Just a general note. At the $1-$10 at least I see this a lot. Someone with minraise from EP/MP even with limpers behind them. You would think this would mean a marginal hand. This just happened to me. There were a few limpers, he minraises from MP, I see AQs and reraise the pot to maybe drive him out and at least the limpers. Ya, flop comes queen high. Perfect I think. Nope, he flips over kings. :/ I see this quite a bit. I guess they think they are being tricky.

UMTerp
01-10-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perfect I think. Nope, he flips over kings... I guess they think they are being tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently they are. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

As you move up in limits, the minraise is more commonly a steal raise. Certain players will fold their blinds to any raise, whether it be 2x or 4x the BB, so often times a minraise is all that's required.

Absolution
01-10-2005, 05:12 PM
I guess, but if I had of just called, the other 2 would have as well. Do you want to be 4 handed?

mscott2374
01-10-2005, 05:54 PM
With the hand being sooted, you probably don't mind as much since if you hit your flush you have the potential of picking up a big pot

Bigwig
01-10-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just a general note. At the $1-$10 at least I see this a lot. Someone with minraise from EP/MP even with limpers behind them. You would think this would mean a marginal hand. This just happened to me. There were a few limpers, he minraises from MP, I see AQs and reraise the pot to maybe drive him out and at least the limpers. Ya, flop comes queen high. Perfect I think. Nope, he flips over kings. :/ I see this quite a bit. I guess they think they are being tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mini-raisers are tricky, at times. But they're also foolish for building pots that can run up against hands that have them dominated (when they do this with something like QJs) or giving people odds to hit AA/KK buster flops (two pair with suited connectors, trips with 55, etc).

Just widen your range of hands that you put them on, and approach things cautiously post-flop. Signs of strength may indicate that they were trying to build a pot with a monster.