PDA

View Full Version : World Series Price

10-23-2001, 08:37 PM
Just want to know what you guys think about the Series price?

Last I saw: New York -140; Arizona +120

Mojay

10-23-2001, 11:37 PM
Have to see the pitching matchups first and I haven't seen them yet. Is it safe to assume the Yankees will just continue on where they left off since Mussina was next on the list? If so that is a big loss for them because that means one game of Pettitte and I think he is the key to them winning. He will be the most effective pitcher here, especially if he is kept off a game facing one of the two aces. If he pitches twice then this is about a fair line. If he doesn't then I would say this line offers a little bit of value to AZ, but not that much. As hard as it is to imagine the Yanks losing now that they have gotten this far past the two AL teams, this is a team that doesn't really get hurt by the matchups that badly. I think they hit fastball pitchers well with guys like Gonzalez, Sanders, and Bell usually struggling only against offspeed stuff. Further they have enough speed to test Posada as long as Pettitte isn't on the mound. Maybe the most important factor though is I don't think the huge bullpen difference will be in play too much. The aces will go 7 innings or more minimizing the pen damage. The DBacks are not a big come from behind team either so the devastating Yankee bullpen won't really be neutralizing that much either. On the Yankees side they should have some success at the bottom of the lineup, something the DBacks don't get. Brosius and Soriano will be very important because I think the aces will eliminate much of the ability of the lefties in the lineup. Another edge is that it seems likely that two of the lesser pitchers will go in the Bronx and the stadium could rattle them easily. Batista and Lopez/Anderson would benefit quite a bit from pitching in front of the home fans, but it looks like they might go two games in the Bronx which may be disaster. Should be a good series and as always the unlikeliest players will play some big roles here. I think if you had to key in on two guys outside of the biggest names, I think Knoblauch and Sanders will be the guys that decide it. Knoblauch has to get on and score some runs because I don't think there will be many big innings here. Sanders has to produce because the Yanks might otherwise pitch around Gonzalez and because Sanders has the second most dangerous bat in the lineup and that could be the difference in low scoring games.