PDA

View Full Version : AK - Two Pair on Turn - Extracting the most chips

El Maximo
01-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Im looking to improve my post flop play. I make 1/2 pot size bet on the flop. This is a typical value bet for me when the board is not scary. How do I extract the most from villian when I hit my 2 pair on the turn? I was thinking of making a 1/3 to 1/2 pot size bet again or check-raising. This is at a 20+2 SnG. Villian has played typically so far. Not a maniac but not a rock either. The only hand Ive shown so far is AK.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t865)
MP2 (t1580)
MP3 (t840)
CO (t795)
Button (t670)
Hero (t935)
BB (t735)
UTG (t1125)
UTG+1 (t455)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, BB calls t75, UTG+1 folds, CO folds.

Flop: (t210) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, BB calls t125.

Turn: (t460) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ??

unfrgvn
01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
You raised pre-flop and he called, and he called your flop bet. What do you think he has? I could see him having something like 10's or j's and didn't want to fold to one over card. If he has a hand like that he will probably fold now that the A has come. If you check he might bet hoping you didn't like the A either. I think I would check and call. I don't think you should fear a free card, you are either way ahead or behind to a set.

Unarmed
01-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Bet 200.
The ace is the last card you want to see here as it kills your action completely if villain doesn't have one. Therefore, assume he HAS an ace and make whatever bet you think will get the most money out of him. I bet around 200 representing a scared KQ and hope he comes over the top. Depends on your opponent, but I like to give these guys a chance to hang themselves. Even if he just smooth calls you've pot commited him on the river and can lead for his whole stack.

rjb03
01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd go for a check-raise here, but if he only bets like 150 he can still probably fold when it gets back to him.

jojobinks
01-10-2005, 12:25 PM
i bet the pot. this isn't necessarily the best to get the most chips on this hand, but it feels right over the course of the tournament.

my thinking is: when you make 1/2 pot bets sometimes and pot sized bets others and push still others, there's a pattern. that pattern's not that hard to figure out, especially if he calls you down and you show. you may bust this guy out, but now it's clear that smaller bets = strength.

especially in a sng, and in the first level, i want to have him make a big mistake and double me up. with the chumps that play these, he's likely to call a small bet and hit a straight on you. he still might for all his chips, but i want to make him pay for it.

in sng's that take an hour or less to play, i just don't think there's enough time to change up your betting patterns much. i advocate straight forward Tight aggressive line here.

Phil Van Sexton
01-10-2005, 12:55 PM
First, try to figure out what he might have. He called your raise preflop, so you can assume he has something, but not a monster. I'd be thinking about hands like Kx, Ax, or a small/middle pair.

He calls your bet on the K54 flop. He would certainly call on the flop with Kx or A5/A4. He may well call with a PP like JJ-66 thinking you are trying to buy the pot with AQ or AJ.

When the Ace hits on the turn, thats a scare card. He's going to check/fold any PP. He'll call a smallish bet with Kx, but probably check if you check. With A5 or A4, he will likely raise if you bet or bet if you check.

Based on this, checking is terrible. You'll only get action if he foolishly called on the flop with something like AT. If he has A4 or A5, you are better off betting and letting him raise.

If he has a PP, your check smells more like a trap than weakness. Remember, he called on the flop thinking you had AQ or AJ. He'll definately be looking to check this down or spike a set on the river. He will not be paying you off no matter how you play this.

You bet 125 on flop. I might just bet 125 again on the turn. This gives the appearance that the Ace scared you too. He'll definately raise with A5 or A4, and probably with his misplayed Ax. He'll hopefully call with Kx. A PP is going to fold for any amount, so that's not a factor.

He has about 400 left if he calls. I'd bet 150 on the river. Again, this is weak bet which should encourage a call, or just a desparation allin. Moving allin will make him fold Kx and takes away his chance to bluff at the pot.

Mons
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might just bet 125 again on the turn. This gives the appearance that the Ace scared you too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect!