PDA

View Full Version : Pushing AK against a LAG?

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Live 1/2 (250 max buy-in). My cards have been ice cold... nearly every pot has been raised pre-flop and I have not found anything worth playing. I estimate that I have seen less than 10% of the flops in the last hour.

I have slightly over $200 and LAG to my right has me covered.

I am BB with AKo. One limper and MP makes it $12 to go (standard raise). One caller. SB (LAG) raises to $70. I have seen him reraise twice with non-premium pocket pairs (88 and JJ). I don't believe either of the earlier raises was this large -- but his stack was much smaller then. He has also voluntarily displayed a bluff when he moved all-in on the turn when his stack was much smaller.

Do you consider pushing with the AK here?

Tilt
01-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Its tough. I would consider it if it werent for the fact that you have two others to act after you before the LAG does. You might wind up in a multiway all-in or in a SD with MP holding AA/KK, which is bad news.

But, any decent reraise commits you anyway. A push provides you some fold equity, and removes position from the equation. I think calling is perfectly awful - unless you are hoping MP will push with something like JJ, LAG will call with TT, and you want to get all-in against both. But if you call and dont get it in and then you dont flop your cards you are in such trouble.

I talked myself into it. I think a push is good move.

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-10-2005, 12:25 PM
A little more info -- MP raiser has raised frequently and looked shaken by LAG's big raise. The caller in between has seen almost every flop (calling most "standard" raises) -- he is a bad player that got lucky for a while -- now his stack is smaller than mine.

Rightly or wrongly, I only feared the SB...

If I push, folding equity is a significant part of the reason. It is likley that SB (and perhaps one of the others) has a pocket pair. I would not mind them releasing them here (pot is almost $100). If there is a call, I hope its a coin flip (and not AA/KK).

Tilt
01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rightly or wrongly, I only feared the SB...

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I think a push is a good move. If you call its probably going to end up in the middle anyway against a player like this so you may as well have fold potential on your side.

Let me guess, you push and he calls with JJ. You end up with a slightly +EV coin flip Im guessing.

sourbeaver
01-10-2005, 02:45 PM
The only real risk is AA/KK.
Otherwise a coin flip is okay because of the bit of dead money already in there and the fold equity.

okayplayer
01-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Push