PDA

View Full Version : Am I giving up too much?

01-28-2002, 09:50 AM
I am a medium stakes player live and have recently started playing online.

I am playing the micro stakes (up to $1-2) and am winning at the rate of 1.25 to 6 BB per hour depending upon the limits. I am doing much better at $1-2 than $0.25-0.50.

For limits up to $1-2, am I giving up too much by not playing hands like small pairs (22-55); KQo; KJs/os; J-10s/os or Axs from UTG; EP or maybe even first in from early MP?. I prefer to play these hands in multiway pots and to get in for 1 SB.

At these limits, I see flops taken routinely by 5 or more players.

Actually I play very similar at medium stakes.

However, my question is for online poker, stakes up to $1-2 and ONLY for UTG, EP and maybe first in from early MP.

All comments welcome.

KC50

01-28-2002, 10:28 AM
The biggest problem going from a winning live player to the net is not playing tight enough. IMO.

I don't play in the games you are asking about. So, playing with five people every flop some of this hands may be profitable so out of postion, but I play none of these UTG. KQo and 55 I will raise first-in mid-table, but will not call a raise. The AXs with limpers is playable.

Good Luck

MS Sunshine

01-28-2002, 11:23 AM
I'd have to say yes. I play in these same microlimit games. Flops are rarely less than 5-6 players (I play at PlanetPoker where the skill level is EXTREMELY low). I've found I can loosen up by playing suited connectors, pps, and even the AKQxs out of position and be profitable. QJ and J10 UTG is even a sure play. These hands become profitable because a good player will know when to release these hands if the flop doesn't hit right but when You're holding KQ the inexperienced players will go alot further with you with the same hand because the board of K 10 5 gave them a straight draw and a pair of 10's. You'll also see the Kxs stay with you not realizing they were looking to flop a flush draw not a K and they'll call to the river just to have their kicker beaten. By playing what looks like a "loose" style but winning because you have a better knowledge of how the hand should be played, you gain quite a bit of respect and the opponents begin to fear you. I've even had to show down a bluff now and then to make any of my draws profitable in the future because opponents fold if I call with 109s etc. The skill level at these limits make it easier for you to loosen up. I've found if you play too tight, you'll be a loser because the few hands you play will be sucked out on frequently. Good Luck.

01-28-2002, 02:05 PM
For limits up to $1-2, am I giving up too much by not playing hands like small pairs (22-55); KQo; KJs/os; J-10s/os or Axs from UTG

---

I play a lot of 1-2, and out of those hands, on a typical (loose-passive) table I will run UTG: all the pairs, KQo, KJs, JTs. I won't run KJo, JTo, QJo, or AXs. I sometimes start running AXs if the game is very loose. A9s sometimes sneaks into my repertoire.

I am a pretty solid winner (3+ BB/hr) but I can't tell you whether running the hands above is hurting or helping me. I'm pretty sure KQo and KJs are moneymakers. The others I'm not 100% sure on - but I wouldnt play them if I didn't have some kind of idea they were winning for me.

It is correct to fold all of the above to a raise, unless the pot is laying you VERY good odds. To cold-call a raise with a small pair, for example, i will generally want 5 people already in the hand.

Bottom line, not running these hands probably isn't costing you a lot. I would start playing KQo for sure, but really it's up to you.... I prefer to run the marginal hands as it's less boring /images/smile.gif

Chris

01-30-2002, 02:29 AM
When you get those hands, ask yourself how many people are likely to be in the pot at the end, and how likely will the pot be raised. If the game is very passive you can really loosen up UTG.

Be correct in your assesment though. If your wrong too often about there not being a raise after you call, you will start to loose money.

Heres what usually happens with me. I play well and start to win significant sums(relative to the limit). I get very confident and win even more. Then my head begins to swell and I start playing too loose up front. Playing marginal holdings in games with lots of tactically sound raising. This is when I begin to lose. My wife stops sleeping with me. I begin to panic.... I buy stock in Enron.... I begin to blame other people for my miss fortune. My losses cannot be my fualt as I am a winning player.

Eventually I figure out whats what...fix my game and win again.

Emm