PDA

View Full Version : folding kk?

minutemen9
01-10-2005, 10:52 AM
i have KK preflop, in the big blind. we are playing $25 buy in and there is a caller for .50. small blind raises it to $2, as that is the standard bet for a decent hand at our table. i reraise to $5, get the first caller all in with his remaining $4.75. the small blind raises to $25. i instantly know he has aces, as he plays rather tight and would much rather call than get more money in an uncertain pot. is it possible to fold this hand? i knew he had AA, showed everyone out my hand and was dying to fold, but in the end i couldnt do it and pushed all in for about $60. is folding even a +EV play? this is disturbing me greatly.

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I think you answered the question yourself -- if you knew this player well enough that there was absolutely no hand that he would have come over the top of your reraise with other than AA, then a fold is possible. But would he never do this with AK/KK/QQ?

I don't know if I could ever be that certain -- and with the size of the buy-in in your game, I would push my stack.

amoeba
01-10-2005, 12:14 PM
typically if I was around buy in size stack, I would push it in as well, but it seemed that villain had hero covered in this hand and they both had more than 2x buy in.

I rarely see people rereraise but not all in with AK, QQ anymore. the rereraise to 25 is just enough to where you are either going to push or you are pot committed on the flop if you smoothcall. Its a pretty good sign that he has AA.

Since third player is already all in. I would just fold here and see whether my suspicions are correct. if we were both shorter stack, obviously a push is in order.

RiverTheNuts
01-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I had a hand earlier that went like this

We both had ~70 at a 25 NL table, he has been playing solidly

I raise to 2 UTG, CO reraises to 5, I reraise to 15, he pushes, I fold

Only time Ive folded KK preflop in a cash game

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-10-2005, 01:03 PM
I guess these stacks are fairly deep for a a $0.25/$0.50 game. I have seen many stacks pushed pre-flop with far less than AA -- but usually it is by someone who has far less than 100BBs.

Kaz The Original
01-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Go with the read young jedi.

BigF
01-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I'd never fold KK preflop when the max buyin was merely $25 and the pusher only had $25. If he had $60 as well I'd give folding some serious thought. But it would be a tough laydown.

Even at pro level, folding KK preflop is rare.

That said I'd probably fold QQ in the same situation with the same read.