PDA

View Full Version : 4-tabling and analyzing opponents

DrGonzo
01-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I have been curious about this for a while now; Is it possible to play 4 tables at once and still keep good track of how your opponents play, observing misstakes, type of play in different situations and taking notes?

I 4-table sometimes on the 50+5$ level and that is no problem. You don't need to adjust very much to your opponents to make a profit here. Just playing a solid strategy will give you money.

When you move up to higher levels, it becomes more important to actually analyze and profile the players you are up against. There are a lot of good players that are able to play 4 200+15$ tables at once (and some that even play 8 I've heard!).

I wonder if they are so quick that they are actually able to analyze the plays of their opponents and take notes at all tables at the same time? Or is it possible to beat even these tough games without proper adjustment to your opponents?

Anyone with experience? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

El Maximo
01-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I cant comment on the higher buy-ins but I multi-table the lower buyins. My overall strategy for getting reads on opponents is to place them in general categories first. I use pokertracker and playerview to generate stats on their PFR% and VP$IP during the first 3 levels. This gives me a rough indication of how loose-tight and passive-aggressive they are. I use this in combination with their stack size to get an idea of what type of hands they will limp, raise and call a raise. Than I take note of how thier stats have changed when we get short-handed. Are they being more passive or more aggressive. Its not an exact science but its better than having no reads at all. Than I use pokertracker and do more detailed notes on anyone Ive played more than 5 sngs against. So far I have notes on 3-4 players out of 4000. I just dont see the same players very often. I think at the higher levels you will run into the same player more often.

DrGonzo
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just dont see the same players very often. I think at the higher levels you will run into the same player more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very true. I've tried out pokertracker and even though I had several hundreds of 50$ tournaments, there were few players that were in more than one of them.
On the other hand, if you play the 100$ tourneys, you will recognize some players and if you play the 200$s (which I seldom do, because I find the opposition too tough), you will recognize a lot of the players.

So, yes, I guess you could get useful pokertracker data for the high-limit players. I still think you would need to use your old brain to analyze the payers while playing to be able to make a decent profit from the 200$ tourneys. Or am I wrong here?

El Maximo
01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
It depends on the brain. Mine is severly damaged from too many years of drug and alcohol abuse. Thats why I play the low limits.

DrGonzo
01-10-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on the brain. Mine is severly damaged from too many years of drug and alcohol abuse. Thats why I play the low limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking notes here. What did you say your Party Poker username was? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

asofel
01-10-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking notes here. What did you say your Party Poker username was? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

original quote = hilarious
reply = even better...