PDA

View Full Version : First big (real life) tourney, did I play the nuts wrong?

comstock
01-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Been playing for awhile but never any of the brick and mortar tourneys. Finally went to one this weekend, $100 buy-in NL (no rebuys). This is only one hand I'm questioning, it did not cause me to lose of course, my overall bad play caused me to lose. However, after about one hour of play I found myself in this situation:

Medium stack, only me and one other guy (he had about the same chips), I had top pair A10s and a flush draw the whole time, rivered a 5th heart to give me the nuts (no pairs on the board).

He bet a decent amount into me. I thought about it for a minute and went all in. I had been playing loose (too loose) so I didn't have a rock table image. I tried to appear weak, ie. disappointed when he asked how much I had, etc. He spent like 5 minutes thinking it over and finally said "I think I have you beat but I can't do it." and folded. I showed the nut flush hoping it would allow me to steal a couple pots later...

I finished 2 hours later, 40 somethingth and out of the money. That one hand is the one I think I could have played diff. Maybe if I had simply raised him he would have reraised, then been pot comitted if I followed up all in.

So would you have gone all in after his bet (which was substantial), or simply raised, hoping he would reraise.

Goodie54
01-10-2005, 11:38 AM
I can see your new, so I'll help you out. We need a lot more information to make an informed conclusion. Please provide:

Stack sizes
your position
his position
blind level
Pre-flop action
Flop action
Turn action
Type of player he was
If possible, previous hands played with him.

The most important info here is stack sizes and how much you raised on the river. I think you'll get quite a few responses if you provide this info.

Peace

Goodie

jojobinks
01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
i agree that more info would be helpful. but...

one thing i notice is that you were acting quite a bit. i think that's a mistake. not knowing your stack sizes, if i were to go all in, i certainly wouldn't have thought about for a full minute. and i wouldn't be trying to emote weak when he asked how much. weak = strong is the easiest tell in the book. at least it's the one everyone knows.

but...more info.