PDA

View Full Version : AKs facing aggression HU

crockett
01-10-2005, 08:51 AM
I was lost on this one...good line/bad line? Any major mistakes.

Villian is was 25/5 after 44 hands of play. Thanks.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Vern
01-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't know how else to play it. UTG+1 has open raised and capped. That generally makes me believe AA-QQ or AKs without other evidence. I think I might just call down since I am behind AA(3), tied with AKs(2) Behind KK(1) and ahead of QQ(6). You are Heads Up so your only consideration is the pre-flop capper. Reraising the flop might shut down QQ so I win the minimum but invite a three-bet from the rest. Since he three-bet you on the flop I doubt he has QQ, unless he is overplaying it. As he played it, he either has AK with the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif or Aces and the flush and pair board made him get weak on the river. I am torn over whether to flop raise but after you did and got three-bet, calling down HU with TPTK is ok until you get a better read.

Vern

jaxUp
01-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Well played. Just out of curiosity, if you had position on him on the river and he checked, would you have bet it?

crockett
01-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes, I believe I would. I find it pretty rare for someone to try the "check to induce a bet for a C/R" opportunity. However, if I knew him to try it I'd probably just check behind. But against an unknown I would bet this river if checked to.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
i don't like checkraising this flop as a standard line, though i will from time to time.

crockett
01-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I take it you would lead? Or check call? and why..

Thanks

K C
01-10-2005, 10:17 AM
What stands out here is - re-raising into a check raise. Unless this person is clueless, that strongly suggests that your pair is no good. My guess is that you're up against a set of 9's.

Let's go back over the hand a bit. Do you really want to 3 bet this hand? Calling his raise is fine, unless the re-raiser is particularly tight or passive normally. Personally, I'd want QQ or better to make this move.

It's a nice flop for you though. I'm not sure why you'd want to check raise here. It's not strong enough for that, and if you have him beat, you don't want to scare him out just yet with a board like that. His re-raising you though needs to set off alarms /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, it always comes down to the player you're against, but unless he's a maniac, consider laying it down here.

Checking and calling on the turn and river here isn't particularly strong. There's a time and place for this move, but here it seems more like - you probably have me beat but I can't force myself to lay it down /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The J scared him a bit on the river, which gets me thinking his set wasn't J's - again, probably 9's.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com

Shillx
01-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I would just call preflop and check/raise pretty much any flop no matter what hits. This is a tough hand to play OOP but I think I like check/calling the flop and betting the turn once the 3rd /images/graemlins/spade.gif slides. Check/raising the flop in this spot is generally not the right play. There is a quick mention of it in this month's internet magazine by Mason Malmuth.

Brad