PDA

View Full Version : Scott Boras = Amazing

Toro
01-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Read in this mornings paper that Derek Lowe has a tentative agreement with the Dodgers for $36 Million @ 4 years. No one was even competing for this guy's services. How the hell does he get $36 million? Amazing!

Hack
01-10-2005, 09:27 AM
He's not worth even 10 million over 4 years. The guy SUCKS as a pitcher. The Dodgers are the only team that want him I hear.

Sure, he pitched okay for one game in the ALCS. He still SUCKS. He got lucky, just like a fish. Even terrible pitchers have great outings sometimes, and that's what Derek Lowe is. A terrible pitcher. Why do you think Boston ditched him?

Toro
01-10-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's not worth even 10 million over 4 years. The guy SUCKS as a pitcher. The Dodgers are the only team that want him I hear.

Sure, he pitched okay for one game in the ALCS. He still SUCKS. He got lucky, just like a fish. Even terrible pitchers have great outings sometimes, and that's what Derek Lowe is. A terrible pitcher. Why do you think Boston ditched him?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're preaching to the choir but I don't think he totally sucks as you do. He's a #3 or 4 starter, certainly not worth $9 million per year.

Hack
01-10-2005, 10:16 AM
He was better as a closer. That's what he used to be

That's the job he should be hired for. He normally does fine in the first couple of innings but once the lineup has seen him they figure his pattern out and he is [censored].

He's just not meant to be a starter.

But Wakefield sucks even more than Lowe. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

andyfox
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
2002: 21-8 2.58
2003: 17-7 4.47
2004: 14-12 5.52

Not exactly an encouraging trend. He sure looked good in the post-season though. Pitchers seem to have an easier time going from the AL to the NL. I look for him to win 13-15 games with an ERA in the low 4's.

nolanfan34
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I concur. I just about fell out of my chair when I saw he signed for that. He got more than Odalis Perez. And Matt Clement. Absolutely crazy.

Paul DePodesta must see something that the rest of us don't.

I do think Lowe will have a good season there, with a good defense behind him, and pitching in Dodger Stadium (although I wonder how the decrease in foul territory will change things). Lowe will be a nice later round fantasy sleeper to take a flier on.

Hack
01-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Dodgers have a history of overpaying for players, just like the Mets do.

bugstud
01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I think his groundball tendencies will be helped a lot by the dodgers defense as opposed to boston's, plus the additionbal bonuses of being in chavez ravine.

kenberman
01-10-2005, 03:26 PM
He's a big gamble no doubt.

The buzz on Lowe - no pun intended - is that he drinks/parties way too much. I think it would have done him good to go to a slightly lower key place, like Detroit. LA has good partying opportunities, and this isn't good for D-Lowe.

Sure he was terrible this year, but his ceiling (however doubtful attaining that celing is) for the next 4 years is just about as high as any other free agent pitcher. He was unhittable against the Yankees and St. Louis this year, and has had a couple great years.

Don't get me wrong - giving this guy 4 years at big money is ludicrous. But I also wouldn't be suprised if he came back strong. He's a high variance pitcher.

2planka
01-10-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he drinks/parties way too much

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not heard this. If true, he'll do well to get away from the likes of Damon, Millar, and Mark Boozebag.

[ QUOTE ]
He's a high variance pitcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. The "buzz" I've heard about that is he's got problems from the neck up. He had psych problems following his cancer issue a couple years ago. Been on meds for his noodle since. If he has problems with the sauce, that can't help his anxiety/depression issue.

nothumb
01-10-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He normally does fine in the first couple of innings but once the lineup has seen him they figure his pattern out and he is [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

During the WS they were talking about how Lowe had been influenced positively by spending more time with Schilling, who spends like a zillion hours analyzing how well his opponents can hit a splitter thrown low and away on a Tuesday when the wind chill factor is 10 degrees less than the actual temperature.

Lowe just never put in that kind of work... but apparently his playoff performance was the result of some more careful study and focus. (BTW, he won THREE big games in the playoffs - the clincher in every series).

I agree with whoever said Lowe will benefit from the Dodger defense. Foul territory shouldn't be a huge factor as he is a groundball pitcher.

I liked D-Lo, but I won't be too sad to see him go. He made my blood pressure rise. I like the Sox rotation this year.

NT

Hack
01-10-2005, 03:46 PM
I like it too.

Especially David Wells. Should have insisted on a weight clause with him. He is a good pitcher(when healthy), but he has attitude problems and is somewhat of a rebel. He should fit in good with the idiots.

Gatts
01-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Other teams were offering money, such as the Tigers.

I think the deal will work out decently. Lowe's been hit around lately, but some of it's probably just bad luck. Groundball pitchers tend to do very well in Chavez and I think that's why he's been brought in. Plus the INF of the Dodges is pretty good.