PDA

View Full Version : Another satellite wasted, any thoughts? (long)

TheJackal
01-10-2005, 04:53 AM
I swear to god I cannot place in these friggin satellites to save my life. Earlier this weekend I lost because my AA runs into KK when I have 70k in chips and he spikes a king on the turn. I've played in the 6/9 on Fri, the 6 on sat, and the 9 tonight, and of these I have built my stack up only to get sucked out on when it matters the most. Anyone think I should have folded preflop? I think the villian's play here is pretty reckless, but I'd like some feedback here.

Based on how he was playing, I did not figure him for AK with the king of hearts, he would have raised preflop, and I didn't figure him for a bigger flush. My gut told me the king of hearts or a set, both hands I was ahead of. I mean I'm honestly at the point where every single time I make the right play, I get sucked out on. I'm a little angry because I spent 4 hours on saturday only to lose as a 4:1 favorite and 3 hrs tonight as a 2:1 favorite. Both times had I won the pot, I would have been guaranteed a spot. I know I'm whining, but it has been tough on me. I didn't get to play in the tournament tonight because of it and how its going I probably wont get to play this upcoming Sunday as well, (only upside is I haven't spent more than $12 any of these times, but it's still frustrating as hell).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t62465)
Hero (t57767)
BB (t106025)
UTG (t25251)
UTG+1 (t27102)
MP1 (t20914)
MP2 (t116592)
CO (t21440)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls t3000, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t8550) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t14000</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t57000</font>, Hero calls t40617 (All-In).

Turn: (t120167) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t120167) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t120167

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has 7s 7c (full house, sevens full of aces).
Hero has Th Jh (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins t120167. </font>

phixxx
01-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Why the hell would villain limp first in on the button? What a horrible player.

ethan
01-10-2005, 05:03 AM
You did fine. Play it the same next time. A 25% shot will still win one time in four, the one way you can handle things better is not to get so upset that you feel the need to post the hand here.

Seriously. I'm not being flippant in the slightest. Them's the breaks, you played goot, and you lost. These things happen, better luck next time.

CardSharpCook
01-10-2005, 05:05 AM
I hate to say it, man, but these are the ones you have to shrug off. Both players played the hand correctly. He thought he was a 2:1 favorite, but in fact he was a 70/30 dog. Hell, even if he KNEW he was behind, 7 outs on the flop and 10 on the river.

I recently had a similar beat in a 4-way head to head. Great match lasted much longer than they usually do. Remarkably at this point the difference in our chip stacks is less than 1%. I flop the nut flush draw, he flops a set. I bet it, he calls. Turn gives me my flush. He goes all in, I call. River pairs the board.

What could I do? I gave him the online version of a hand shake and told him "good game". He flopped a set!!! you shouldn't lose when you flop a set head to head. He played it well, so did I, it was a good game despite the fact that I lost it when he was a 4:1 dog, I feel good about the game.

CSC

TheJackal
01-10-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell would villain limp first in on the button? What a horrible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that was all that bad of a play. We were getting closer to the money and if me or the BB re-raised him after he raised, he would lose 25% of his stack (assuming he raised 3x the blind). By just limping in, he would be able to get off the hand if me or the BB raised. I don't have a problem with his preflop, it's postflop. I'm not going to be value betting an ace in this spot, and I'm certainly not going to bet 14k into a 9k pot with less than a set myself. I think his best play would be to flat call the bet and see if the board pairs on the turn, that way if it doesn't pair on the turn, he loses the least amount (there are 3 hearts on the board, heaven forbid that somebody MIGHT have a flush). I don't see what going all in on the flop will accomplish, unless he thinks I'm an idiot who is bluffing with the naked king of hearts and will lay it down to his raise. If he wanted to go broke as a dog, moving all in on the flop would be his best option. It's funny because he had 125k which was easily enough to glide to the finish line, yet he busted out 22nd, 3 shy of the money.

phixxx
01-12-2005, 08:02 PM
That's true, but I think he has alot of folding equity close to the money like you mentioned, and with the blinds being such a big portion of his stack, I think a raise is definitely in order here.

Punker
01-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Its hard to suggest advice on this hand without knowing how far you are from winning a seat, as well as what the average stack is.