PDA

View Full Version : My first real read

Fishlips_Jones
01-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Party $1/2 Limit Hold'em

The read went beyond the basic descriptions of loose/tight...aggressive/passive. It was kinda cool, once I figured out what she was doing I just made a slight adjustment and she never bothered me again. And when I wasn't involved in a hand with her, I could enjoy the whole situation as she confounded all the players new to the table ( and some of the ones who were there for a while). Every player new to the table lost the first hand they were in against her that had a showdown.

It was how she handled preflop raises. She would cold call, with anything. The pot would generally then be contested between 2 or 3 players. Reading the raiser as having two big cards, she would then outplay folks from the flop onward. Betting/raising/calling if she had any piece of the board; and folding if any ace or two broadway cards materialized (unless she held those cards).

Anyhow, this is the first time something like this has been so clear to me. Just wanted to share.

Fishlips

DocMartin
01-10-2005, 03:25 AM
What was your adjustment?

Hack
01-10-2005, 03:32 AM
You realized she's a bad player then.

I don't think anyone is good enough after the flop to justify coldcalling so much.

soko
01-10-2005, 03:36 AM
sounds alot more like a fish getting really lucky a bunch of times in a row. that is right, there is no amount of skill that can make up for cold calling with weak hands in a limit poker game, especially online.

Fishlips_Jones
01-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Bet the flop, if she calls then I know I need to beat at least a pair. If I'm getting the odds to call I continue. When she would raise a flop bet and got called down, she always had at least two pair. So if I bet and she raised, I folded. Maybe against just me she would raise as a bluff, but when I had the goods to continue, she never was bluffing.

It seems really simple as I reread this, but the difference is knowing the way she plays as opposed to having some doubts about her bets/calls/raises.