PDA

View Full Version : usefulness of "went to SD" stat

BadBatsuMaru
01-10-2005, 12:30 AM
It's my understanding that the "went to SD" stat is an individual's % to showdown of all the times he saw the flop. Mine is 33.58% over 25,000 hands of 0.5/1 party and it doesn't seem to be changing (33.39% over the last month).

So I'm wondering what this is supposed to tell me. Apparently it's supposed to be an important stat seeing as GameTime+ and PlayerView like to give you the table's average to SD right along with VP$IP and PFR.

Is "went to SD" supposed to be giving me a read on how aggressive to play, i.e. my chances of getting people to fold? This certainly doesn't seem like a good thing to be using a table averate; maybe per-player it may be useful, but I'm certainly not going to bluff an individual I don't have a read on just because in general the table doesn't see many showdowns.

Is it just supposed to give me a general idea of the effectiveness of a value bet on the river, i.e. a high "went to SD" stat means I'm likely to get called with an inferior hand whereas with a low "went to SD" I should check because I'll only be called by a hand that beats me?

It seems like you have to be very careful if you're trying to get information from this stat, and it confuses me that it is treated as such an important number.

Shillx
01-10-2005, 12:34 AM
It is useful in telling you if you are calling down too much or folding too much. If it is in "the range" then it isn't all that important. But if it is say 40% or 25% over a significant # of hands, then it can be a useful stat. 33% or whatever looks like a good number to be at (28-33% is standard I believe, but I could be wrong). Notice that the lower your VPIP, the higher yours WTSD should be. If you only play AA, your WTSD will be close to 100%. If you play any two cards then it will be much less.

BadBatsuMaru
01-10-2005, 03:00 AM
That's pretty much what I was thinking ... but I'm having trouble seeing why this is an important stat to have on other people, or how the average of all players at the table is information anybody cares about.

davelin
01-10-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty much what I was thinking ... but I'm having trouble seeing why this is an important stat to have on other people, or how the average of all players at the table is information anybody cares about.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will probably give you a decent idea of who is going calling down to the river with any piece of the flop.