PDA

View Full Version : This video is just sick - Honda Commercial

AviD
01-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Maybe some of you have seen this before, I live in a box so I never saw it and the title says its over a year old...but I thought this was sick as hell.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/hondaad.html

Just was perusing the videos at Big-Boys.com...there are some funny ones there! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

PokerGoblin
01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
what is sick about it?

The4Aces
01-10-2005, 12:13 AM
sick = extrodinary.

GuyOnTilt
01-10-2005, 12:24 AM
This reminded me of that DVD of the computer generated things playing music. Like, balls would get shot out of things and hit cymbals and drums and xylophones and stuff. Or like, there was a gear one and a conveyer belt one. I only saw it once, but that DVD was and is SICK. I seriously wish I knew the name of it so I could buy it now. Somebody?

GoT

AviD
01-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Sick as in...insane. The website claims it took over 500 takes to get it right...I think I would have been pissed off from setting that [censored] up after about 10 takes.

GuyOnTilt
01-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Nevermind, found it. I googled random words descibing it and it was the first hit. I rule!

GoT

PokerGoblin
01-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Well let me tell you... that is all computer generated imagery... the physics alone are impossible in that video. There were no 500 takes to make all that happen, it looks more like Toy Story than anything else.

PG

theantelope
01-10-2005, 12:52 AM
It's actually Google that rules.

ClaytonN
01-10-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well let me tell you... that is all computer generated imagery...

[/ QUOTE ]

False

PokerGoblin
01-10-2005, 01:07 AM
come again?

The4Aces
01-10-2005, 01:09 AM
that is not computer generated. it is 100% real. I am guessing the rolling up the hill is one thing that makes you think this is fake. you can weight a tire a certian way so when it is taped it will roll up a hill

Thythe
01-10-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well let me tell you... that is all computer generated imagery... the physics alone are impossible in that video. There were no 500 takes to make all that happen, it looks more like Toy Story than anything else.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces is right, it's not computer generated. They had to do a few things (such as weighting the tires so they will roll up hill), but it's definitely live. Read the comments below the video.

ClaytonN
01-10-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
come again?

[/ QUOTE ]

*ahem

IT'S REAL.

No computer generated.

PokerGoblin
01-10-2005, 01:28 AM
haha ok

First off I have worked in the automotive retail industry for 5 years so I am inclined to comment with a reasonably amount of certainty that the physical representations brought forth in the video are not plausable.

I am primarily referring to the tire bumping a tire bumping a tire up the ramp stunt. A typical tire mounted on an aluminum wheel weighs 40 to 50 pounds. At that slow rate of speed depicted in the commercial, there is no way enough energy could be transferred from one tire to another to create enough energy to cause the tire to roll uphill. How it was weighed is irrelevant; once the tire got to a certain point it would roll in the opposite direction if it were not balanced properly.

That aside I won't speak for any of the other anomolies in the ad.

PG

The4Aces
01-10-2005, 01:37 AM
I am 100% sure that can be done. A tire may be weighted 40 pounds but a huge slab of concrete inside of it will make it roll the oposite direction. Also the tires could have been hollowed out.

Daliman
01-10-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
haha ok

First off I have worked in the automotive retail industry for 5 years so I am inclined to comment with a reasonably amount of certainty that the physical representations brought forth in the video are not plausable.

I am primarily referring to the tire bumping a tire bumping a tire up the ramp stunt. A typical tire mounted on an aluminum wheel weighs 40 to 50 pounds. At that slow rate of speed depicted in the commercial, there is no way enough energy could be transferred from one tire to another to create enough energy to cause the tire to roll uphill. How it was weighed is irrelevant; once the tire got to a certain point it would roll in the opposite direction if it were not balanced properly.

That aside I won't speak for any of the other anomolies in the ad.

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold tires for 12 years, and I thought the same thing you did, but after careful perual, i am a believer; they were counterweighted, and I see easily how it could be done.

As far as the "500" takes it took; that sounds about right, but I'm betting most think that means 500 times they tried to run the whole thing through....no f'n way anyone does that. Probably 10-20 takes at each station, mebbe more, mebbe less, but Im fairly certain this is not one full, seamless shot.

david050173
01-10-2005, 02:45 AM
making of the cog video cog url (http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/13/nhonda13.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/04/13/ixhome.html)

If it was cg it wouldn't have been impressive

Cyrus
01-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Notice that no tire is rolling a full circle. So it's more like having to move an arc-formed object rather than a circular object. Near the end point of the arc, its "landing" spot, is where you put the weights. Then you balance the wheel on the initial arc spot, the "starting" spot. At the slightest tilt, the weights move away from the vertical axe of the center of gravity and start tilting the arc/wheel forward.

Note that there is the usual transfer of kinetic power (billard ball-like) when one wheel hits the other but without the weights, that would not be enough to move them up hill at that angle. Just MHO.

AviD
01-10-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This reminded me of that DVD of the computer generated things playing music. Like, balls would get shot out of things and hit cymbals and drums and xylophones and stuff. Or like, there was a gear one and a conveyer belt one. I only saw it once, but that DVD was and is SICK. I seriously wish I knew the name of it so I could buy it now. Somebody?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, found it. I googled random words descibing it and it was the first hit. I rule!

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond exclaiming your greatness (thanks to Google), a link of your find would be great! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ethan
01-10-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as the "500" takes it took; that sounds about right, but I'm betting most think that means 500 times they tried to run the whole thing through....no f'n way anyone does that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's exactly what they did.

They were certainly trying to get it all at once, and just kept setting everything up until it worked. The shoot ended up around 3 days and 500 takes. (Those numbers might be a little off, but they're close.)

CCx
01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly then you did not bother to read the link that someone posted on the making of the commerical, it answers many questions.

david050173
01-10-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly then you did not bother to read the link that someone posted on the making of the commerical, it answers many questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok and just to rag a little, how does being a car salesman (ie automotive retail) have anything do with engineering? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

from the link

At one point three tyres, amazingly, roll uphill. They do so because inside they have been weighted with bolts and screws which have been positioned with fingertip care so that the slightest kiss of kinetic energy pushes them over, onward and, yes, upward. During the pre-shoot set-ups, film assistants had to tiptoe round the set so as not to disturb the feather-sensitive superstructure of the arranged metalwork. The slightest tremor of an ill-judged hand could have undone hours of work.

CHCKNHWK
01-11-2005, 12:35 AM
This is a good web site that may finish the debate.

snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp)

daryn
01-11-2005, 01:15 AM
i lose all respect for any man who believes this commercial is "real".

daryn
01-11-2005, 01:24 AM
i do have respect for snopes, but come on man. if this were true, then everyone at honda is incredibly stupid. that is a fact.

invast
01-11-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i do have respect for snopes, but come on man. if this were true, then everyone at honda is incredibly stupid. that is a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? I think it is a cool commercial, and a neat idea.

daryn
01-11-2005, 01:33 AM
because if it really cost X million dollars and all those man hours, they are stupid NOT to have done it with computers, and just tell everyone it was real.

invast
01-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Well... obviously this commercial alone made everyone go out and buy a Honda, so I say MONEY WELL SPENT /images/graemlins/confused.gif
I'm going to do my homework now.

daryn
01-11-2005, 02:21 AM
you're still not even really getting my point.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
because if it really cost X million dollars and all those man hours, they are stupid NOT to have done it with computers, and just tell everyone it was real.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is what they obviously did, of course /images/graemlins/wink.gif

david050173
01-11-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if it cost x+1 million dollars to do it with computers? Computers are not magic and they don't make things cheap by default. Ever read about the special effects costs of movies? The good stuff cost serious cash.

To be cheap they could have filmed it in 10 parts and then put them together. Individually none of the tricks are super hard. It is just have 2 dozen of them in a row.

And finally, if it was all CG wouldn't you think one of the couple dozen people that worked on it, would want to take credit for it?

Cyrus
01-11-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I lose all respect for any man who believes this commercial is "real".

[/ QUOTE ]

So be it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

But you should know that the creators of that commercial have been involved in similar "art projects" for a long time before they got the Honda gig. See for instance their DVD, "The Way Things Go" (http://www.frif.com/cat97/t-z/the_way_.html). I happen to have seen it and it's terrific fun!

(Not done in one take though, as they have openly acknowledged, but, still, wonderfully low-tech stuff -- and with lots of chemistry! Smoke, fire, bangs, the lot.)

david050173
01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lose all respect for any man who believes this commercial is "real".

[/ QUOTE ]

So be it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

But you should know that the creators of that commercial have been involved in similar "art projects" for a long time before they got the Honda gig. See for instance their DVD, "The Way Things Go" (http://www.frif.com/cat97/t-z/the_way_.html). I happen to have seen it and it's terrific fun!

(Not done in one take though, as they have openly acknowledged, but, still, wonderfully low-tech stuff -- and with lots of chemistry! Smoke, fire, bangs, the lot.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is the same people. Other wise

"In May 2003, filmmakers Peter Fischli and David Weiss threatened legal action against Honda over similiarities between the "Cog" commercial and "The Way Things Go," a 30-minute film they produced in 1987 involving "100 feet of physical interactions, chemical reactions, and precisely crafted chaos worthy of Rube Goldberg or Alfred Hitchcock." "
doesn't make a whole lot of sense

jakethebake
01-11-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't get it. What's sick about it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

invast
01-11-2005, 03:59 PM
sick as in TOTALLY AWESOME! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

AviD
01-11-2005, 04:27 PM
n/m k thx gg

MaxPower
01-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Daryn,

I admire your scepticism - I really do. But there are two points that you are missing.

First, you assume that large corporations like Honda would now waste money producing this for real when they could do it cheaper using computers. If there is one thing large corporations do really well, it is waste money. I know because I work for one and have dealt with many as clients in the past. In fact the larger and more profitable the corporation, the more money they probably waste.

Second, there are marketing reasons for doing it for real. Clearly the intention of this ad was to create buzz. To have people talking about it on message boards and around the office. For people to email the link to each other, etc. This is what marketers are looking for these days because traditional tv campaigns are just not having the impact they used to. Now what if this tremendous buzz was created and it was discovered that the whole thing was done with computer animation? The whole thing would backfire and Honda would come off looking very bad. The car would become a laughing stock and no one would want to drive around in one of those.

I think it would be very stupid of Honda to fake this. Six million dollars is not a lot to spend on a commercial when your product sales are going to be in the billions (did you know that Honda had sales of over 75 billion last year?)

CORed
01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I know that, and I'm an old rart.

Cyrus
01-12-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it is the same people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right. I stand corrected.

elwoodblues
01-12-2005, 12:32 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's cool that it's real, but who cares. It would have been cool animated as well.

shant
01-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Really no need to be skeptical about this. It is widely known that the sequence is real.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp

Kenrick
01-15-2005, 05:13 AM
This (http://lnuxlab.ath.cx/~khromy/civicreality.wmv) video is better. *buzz* *buzz*

mmbt0ne
01-15-2005, 07:38 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you gonna let us know what it is?

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
this commercial was boring.

wacki
01-18-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i lose all respect for any man who believes this commercial is "real".

[/ QUOTE ]

????? That is a silly thing to say.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That commercial was made over 2 years ago and we are still talking about it. The entire ad campaign cost $6 million. One commercial during the superbowl costs $1 million plus whatever amount it took to make. It's fair to say that a lot of them had a total cost of $2 million. All of this for what? 30 seconds during the superbowl? Compared to the superbowl, this commercial is a bargain.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Credibility daryn. It goes a long way with many people. If a company lied and said it was real many people would loose respect for the company. This contraption is a marvel that is very difficult to accomplish. Honda proved they could get it to work and they are sending the message that their cars will work flawlessly as well. It is a brilliant commercial IMO on many levels. I don't see how anyone could deny that this commercial is a huge success.

ThaSaltCracka
01-19-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how anyone could deny that this commercial is a huge success.

[/ QUOTE ] that was the first time I had seen it. SO I wouldn't say it was a success. Plus that car is ugly.

ThaSaltCracka
01-19-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This (http://lnuxlab.ath.cx/~khromy/civicreality.wmv) video is better. *buzz* *buzz*

[/ QUOTE ]that was great.

wacki
01-19-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] that was the first time I had seen it. SO I wouldn't say it was a success. Plus that car is ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean a ton of other people haven't seen it. The point is the commercial is still around several years later simply due to word of mouth. How many other commercials have that kind of stamina?

david050173
01-19-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean a ton of other people haven't seen it. The point is the commercial is still around several years later simply due to word of mouth. How many other commercials have that kind of stamina?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many UK commericals have you seen? Given that this was never shown in the US the number of people here that have seen it is impressive. I bet if you ask UK people the percentage that remember this is way above average.

ThaSaltCracka
01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Bud Bowl.

BusterStacks
01-19-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't seen it before because it never aired in the U.S. It's a euro commercial.

ThaSaltCracka
01-19-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't seen it before because it never aired in the U.S. It's a euro commercial.

[/ QUOTE ]exactly, europe=uncool.

OrangeKing
01-20-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of stories were done on the commercial at the time it was originally released. No CG, just way too much time on their hands. /images/graemlins/smile.gif