PDA

View Full Version : Simple flop question

JasonP530
01-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I only 3 bet this hand because of the poster and the other caller. The original raiser was very, very, tight, which is what made me check the flop into 4 opponents. Normally, I probably cold call and take it from there. Bad flop check?? Awful flop check? Reasonable given the action?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16.66 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.33 BB

TStoneMBD
01-09-2005, 11:38 PM
this hand should always be 3bet after a coldcaller, and you should only coldcall a pfr for deceptive purposes. i thought it was pretty clear that AK is a 3betting hand in position. postflop your hand has so much value and may very well be the best hand at the moment. you shouldnt let players take a card off to hit a 9. you also have a backdoor flush draw going. easy bet.

jogger08152
01-10-2005, 12:31 AM
TStone is -way- off the mark.

This is an easy check. The board is paired and coordinated for flushes and some straights (though admittedly, the straights and the 7's are somewhat less than likely to beat you unless the table is quite loose).

That said, betting your nothing into four opponents would be a colossal waste of money. Someone has a pair, and they will (at least) call you down.

Smile broadly, take the free card, and root for the King of Hearts.

tolbiny
01-10-2005, 02:38 AM
How tight is very, very tight?

JasonP530
01-10-2005, 02:54 AM
At the time he was about 8/5 through 50 hands. Now he is up to 13/10. I guess I should probably auto 3 bet him heads up anyways.

slavic
01-10-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy check. The board is paired and coordinated for flushes and some straights (though admittedly, the straights and the 7's are somewhat less than likely to beat you unless the table is quite loose).

That said, betting your nothing into four opponents would be a colossal waste of money. Someone has a pair, and they will (at least) call you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree. The pairing of the board is a good thing for you. It means you hand is quite likely best even with 3 other players in the pot. With 13+ bets already in the pot, you have to give them a chance to make a mistake and if someone does fold it improves your chances of winning enough to make up for the SB wagered. Now if we get to the turn, still have 3 players against us and a card hits in the playing zone, we can debate a check.

GreywolfNYC
01-10-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TStone is -way- off the mark.

Smile broadly, take the free card, and root for the King of Hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I like the 3-bet pre-flop but its clear that checking is the right play here. You've got nothing but Ace high and a backdoor flush draw. Betting into 4 opponents would be just plain bad poker.