PDA

View Full Version : Is there PROFIT in 2-3 games?

01-25-2002, 04:48 PM
One the most important choices an internet poker player makes is about playing more than one table at a time. Many factors enter into making the profitable choice.

Are you a winning player at one table? If you are not then you are going to lose MORE than twice as much in the same time frame. I think anyone making over 3/4 BB/hr could be playing two tables and be making a little more more than 1 BB/hr, but NOT 1.5 BB/hr.

No one plays two games as well as they play one game, although the weak-tights in the lowest levels come closest, IMO. There are clicking mistakes also, but you could be in danager of making one of those right now if you are playing and reading 2+2:)

If you are playing two games there is little time to watch hands between other players. Long term this may be the biggest drawback to mutiple games. You find yourself playing your hand and assign everyone else some sort of average playing style when you're trying to judge what their betting means.

It is also possible for an observant player to watch two games, which several of the same players, playing in both, to pick-up tells.

As for playing any type of stud game, with more than one game, unless you never pay attention to up cards anyways this will hurt you.

There is a high error rate in mutitasking. Driving and using a cell phone has a four-fold higher accident rate. I think you are using your brain more playing poker than driving.

As in driving, drinking and playing multiple poker games is an accident waiting to happen. To see if this is true I'm going to have 1/2 a bottle of wine, white wine is best for Hold'em then start to play three games. WARNING: DON'T TRY THIS YOURSELF. I'M A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL and I'm aware of all the dangers. No, I'm just kidding, you can try it yourself. If it helps your game, maybe you should try it with pot next.

Yes, it is alot of fun to play in multiple games. The action is always on you, no waiting for someone else. Other players will often wish you ZzzzzBest in the chat window.

When does playing more than one game seem to work the best? You have to know the players in the game. The games have to be great. The seat in each game is the best for playing, behind the action players and the best for veiwing on your display monitor. You are not losing any real amount of money.

This last point is very important. When you are IN THE LAND OF TILT, you will notice everyone is playing more than one game. This should mean something.

After giving this advice, you should be made aware of the little fact that I'm always playing more than one game. I'm sorry, I'm weak. I'm taking injections for it and going to meetings. I can't go back to one game. Hell, I have problems cutting back to two games. Forget about "live" poker for I'm ruined for life there. I swear, sometimes, time stands still for me playing "live"

I also have control issues over my Mr. Tilt while losing in more than one game.

One of the reasons I'm posting this is my wish to continue my current winning streak by closing as many leaks in my game, while I'm winning, as possible. I think that even though I get some of my earn from the other game, that the number of hours when it is truly profitable is much smaller than I'm currently playing.

All comments welcome.

MS Sunshine

01-25-2002, 05:08 PM
I prefer playing two very different games while playing online(@PP). I play a full table game like O8 or 7cs h/l where I play Excrutiatingly tight. I then play a holdem game where I somewhat pay more attention. I find that it's not nearly as hard to turn on the 'Bozo bit' for players playing O8 or 7cs/8 b/c you can see if they come in w/ a 9,T, or J or call raises w/ 8's etc. I find it's easy to determine someone's play by playing(watching) a minimal amount of hands. In Holdem, if you see someone playing something 86o, you have to see where they were, if htey were the blind etc etc... and they could always be making an 'image play'. But it's hard to consider someone playing a hand w/ a 9(gotta see if they are suited if they make it to end of hand - a bit of a discount on the idiot meter) as anything but bad - Discounting AA or 99 in the hole. Just my opionion. But it seems to work for me, and since I can watch 2/1 Holdem/Hi-lo hands when I'm out, I think I can start to get a line on the players play equally well.

I can manage to avoid tilting in the high-lo easier b/c of my fairly rigid starting requirements(especially in stud - 3 cards below 7 - make it 8 if no other lows are in or are behind me), but I do seem to have a more trouble controlling my tilt in holdem due to beats in either.

01-25-2002, 06:36 PM
I think it's no problem playing 2 tables-as long as neither table is shorthanded.It is way too tough to concecntrate when 1 table is head up -i make way too many mistakes.Playing at least 1 of the tables omaha split at paradise is the easiest.It also depends on which sites im playing.Party poker is probably the slowest site anywhere online so I have to play at least 2 tables or die of boredom.True poker is also very slow but also very irritating -you use the autobuttons there and the screen flips over whenever you autofold or check etc.The fastest site online is americascardroom where i wont play more than 2 tables.Its even a touch faster than paradise.I go on tilt way more often when the wife and kids are in the room making it almost impossible to concentrate on 1 table nevermind 2.

01-25-2002, 11:20 PM
I have played in two games before, however I know I am not good enough to make it profitable. I have watched you play many times in limit and no-limit games and you seem to do just fine. I decided that there is much to learn by playing in one game. When I tilt, and I do that from time to time, the damage is MUCH lighter. It is easier to concentrate at the goals I have for that session.

I don't even mind if I see players in 2+ games when thier slow play is agonizing. I never complain . . . making "quality" decisions for most players playing in two games is not very likely, IMO. There is too much information to gain by playing one table and that is the way I play.

Gary W.

01-26-2002, 12:29 AM
Smart guy. I hate you too.

MS Sunshine

01-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Sorry MS, I was not trying to offend. However, it seems I said something that was taken wrong. Anyway, I wouldn't mind knowing why you think I hate you.

Gary W.

01-26-2002, 01:30 AM
I hate you because I think you are doing the smart thing. Playing one game may be the correct choice almost all the time. It appears that I'm unwilling to make that choice myself.

MS Sunshine

01-26-2002, 01:54 AM
GARY, SHE DID THE SMILEY!

SWIFTY

01-26-2002, 03:32 PM
MS, I think this is an excellent question. I believe there are many players successful that are playing two tables otherwise you wouldn't see the good players doing it all the time.

My question is what about 3 or even 4 tables. I have experimented playing 3 tables at a time and sometimes 4 tables. Party is very slow so this helps in doing so. Same about True except you have to click on your cards. If I am playing 3 or 4 they all have to be at different sites. If two of them are at the same site then that causes me a lot of problems.

I am not exactly sure of my results as I record my winnings by the hour by table. I don't have stats of when I was playing 1 versus 2 versus 3. However, my win rate of one BB at 1020 has remained consistent since I started playing 2 and 3 tables. however, I have only been doing this for a few months.

Comments appreciated on other people's experiences/successes.

01-26-2002, 06:39 PM
If you are turning a profit, I'm sure that you are, I envy you for having that much control over your game. The smart play is the one that makes you the largest profit, IMO.

Gary W.

01-26-2002, 07:59 PM
It appears no one is keeping any records of their one and two table play.

So, no one knows if they're doing the right thing. I know, it feels right. They had straights beating flushes for years because it felt right.

I'm planning to take a closer look at this.

Thanks for all the input guys (and gals).

MS Sunshine

01-27-2002, 09:58 AM
playing two tables= easy