PDA

View Full Version : official colts will lose thread

sublime
01-09-2005, 06:59 PM
okay before i get on with my thoughts, i must admit two things.

#1 baseball is my favorite sport. by a wide margin. football is second, by a wide margin. so i must admit i cant talk the same kind of fact based trash that i did during the MLB playoffs.

#2 i dont like peyton manning (followed by bill cowher) so this may be a little biased.

i will start with these two factors:

the colts have played outside twice since october 31st (kansas city/chicago) it was mid 50's and sunny with no wind in KC and 41, no rain and no wind in chi town) it will probably at best be in the low 30's next sunday and hopefully snow like never before.

its the playoffs. peyton is peyton and tom is tom.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CCx
01-09-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the colts have not played outside since october 31st (kansas city) it was mid 50's and sunny with no wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is completely false. They played outside @ Chicago on 11/21 and won, 41-10.

lastchance
01-09-2005, 07:06 PM
IND at NE, should be a great game. Maybe the Colts can actually get it in from inside the one this time.

sublime
01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
This statement is completely false. They played outside @ Chicago on 11/21 and won, 41-10.

nice catch. i edited my previous statement. thanks man /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Toro
01-09-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm a huge Patriots fan. Indy scares the hell out of me with our secondary as it is. But the Pats can win but they will have to do it by outscoring them.

CCx
01-09-2005, 07:08 PM
i agree it should be a fantastic game - what's the streak at for the pats vs. colts now, 3 or 4 for the pats?

sublime
01-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm a huge Patriots fan. Indy scares the hell out of me with our secondary as it is.

seymours health concerns me more.

sublime
01-09-2005, 07:17 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/don_banks/09/10/pats.colts.folo/p1_manning_mcginest_ap.jpg

a cool picture. my favorite is the one when peyton has his hands on his helmet shaking his head, and probably thinking "its not my fault"

PhatTBoll
01-09-2005, 07:23 PM
That patchwork secondary will be lucky to hold the Colts under 45.

The Pats allowed 29 points to the Dolphins. The Dolphins!

And it's not supposed to snow Sunday. The streak ends here.

Toro
01-09-2005, 07:24 PM
"In Bill we trust"

WC64
01-09-2005, 07:28 PM
It will definitely be a good game, but I think the Colts can pull this one out.

sublime
01-09-2005, 07:33 PM

yeah, the pats gave an all out effort in that game. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

btw, if the colts score 45, how many do you think the pats will score?

lastchance
01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Pats probably score 32-38 like almost every time they play.

The Pats are not putting up 45 on the Colts, even with Dillon.

They're going to have to slow down Manning, at least for a quarter or so.

PhatTBoll
01-09-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the pats gave an all out effort in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looked like they did to me. They had a lot to play for, and got beat by a team that quite frankly outplayed them.

[ QUOTE ]
btw, if the colts score 45, how many do you think the pats will score?

[/ QUOTE ]

35 max. The Pat's offense is solid but not explosive enough to keep up with the Colts when they're rolling.

kyro
01-09-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But the Pats can win but they will have to do it by outscoring them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you John Madden. Is that how it's done?

sublime
01-09-2005, 07:43 PM
The Pats are not putting up 45 on the Colts, even with Dillon.

probably not. but i dont think the colts are scoring 45 in new england. escpecially since i dont think they have given up over 40 pts since bill has been the coach.

sublime
01-09-2005, 07:46 PM
35 max. The Pat's offense is solid but not explosive enough to keep up with the Colts when they're rolling.

the same could be said for GB/MINNY. luckily the game has three facets.

When was the last time a Manning led team won a game they wasnt supposed to? Does anybody have his high school records?

Toro
01-09-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But the Pats can win but they will have to do it by outscoring them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you John Madden. Is that how it's done?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't know what this means, I'll spell it out for you. The Pats will have to do it with offense not defense. Got it?

craig r
01-09-2005, 07:51 PM
It doesn't matter. It seems every few years everybody gets super excited about the colts and manning. Its like they forget that IND has NO defense. They forget that the game is more than just offense.

I understand that NE's secondary is banged up, but they are not horrible. And if NE can put a lot of pressure on Manning (like they usually do) then Manning will throw a lot of "mistakes." If this happens there are bound to be interceptions.

Couple this with the fact that IND has to go on the road and that NE has a very good offense, I am sure that IND fans will be disappointed again.

craig

BottlesOf
01-09-2005, 07:53 PM
I like the "Colts always lose" line being thrown around. (I'm not saying you're guilty of this, necessarily.)

Kind of like the Sox always lose.

sublime
01-09-2005, 07:54 PM
great post craig. right on da money man. but manning threw 49 TD's this year. it will be different. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

craig r
01-09-2005, 07:57 PM
No, I was more describing IND fans. People see Manning light up a crap team, and think he can do that anywhere. Bellichik (sp?) is a very good coach. It seems he has Manning's number. It seems people forget that playing on the road is not nearly the same as playing in a nice warm dome. But, if IND goes into NE and has the same game plan that they had the last couple of years, they will probably get the same result.

craig

p.s. I don't buy into the curse, jynx, etc.. theories

craig r
01-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Also, NE played in a very tough division. the afc east came close to having 3 teams in the playoffs. they lost one game in their division. they are a very good team.

craig

PhatTBoll
01-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Teams with no defense don't lead the league in turnover differential.

sublime
01-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Kind of like the Sox always lose.

kinda, i guess. and i hate that crap. however, this time its valid. people are not saying a specific "team": cant win (which is crap beacuse 'teams' change on the whole every 5-10 years) but a specific individual just doesnt get it done under certain situations (pedro in NY, marty in playoffs, peyton anytime he is not favored)

craig r
01-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Well, only counting INT (recovery on fumbles can be very flukish/lucky..but IND recovered 5 more fumbles than NE) IND/NE are tied. But, it appears James was very good at holding on to the ball.

craig

sublime
01-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Teams with no defense don't lead the league in turnover differential.

weak would have been a better word. and it helps to have a QB who didnt throw picks and to be facing teams who have to pass the ball a TON to keep up/catch up with your opponent. in other words the TO differential in this case is a byproduct of the OFF and not a indicator of how good/bad they are.

PhatTBoll
01-09-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, only counting INT (recovery on fumbles can be very flukish/lucky..but IND recovered 5 more fumbles than NE) IND/NE are tied. But, it appears James was very good at holding on to the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say Indy's D was better than NE's. It isn't. But the Colts are better than you think. If the Edge comment was meant as a backhanded compliment, it was well played and I have no response.

craig r
01-09-2005, 08:13 PM
thats the thing sublime: they both threw the same amount of INT. And each team had recovered the same amount of INT. The fumble diff. was the main difference.

craig

craig r
01-09-2005, 08:13 PM
no. I am not like that. Edge did not fumble very much (they only lost 6).

craig

PhatTBoll
01-09-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in other words the TO differential in this case is a byproduct of the OFF and not a indicator of how good/bad they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is creating turnovers not an indicator of how good a defense is? Donny, you're out of your element.

Is having the NFL's sack leader an indicator?

sublime
01-09-2005, 08:16 PM
no. I am not like that

yeah, craig says it like it is. i am the a-hole who makes wise remarks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sublime
01-09-2005, 08:21 PM
its pretty obvious you didnt understand my post. the TO diffential was due MAINLY to these two factors:

Indy being way above average on offense, and opposing teams not being able to run the ball and having to play riskier football.

for further proof of this, see that INDY was second to the jets on NOT turning the ball over.

make sense now, donny?

PhatTBoll
01-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Actually, I understood it perfectly. But turnover differential is not irrelevant to evaluating a defense, as you seem to think. It's not the only factor that should be considered, but it is definitely important.

It's funny that you mention other teams not being able to run the ball. This has a lot to do with the Colts being up by a lot in the first place. They are much, much improved against the run this year.

sublime
01-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Actually, I understood it perfectly. But turnover differential is not irrelevant to evaluating a defense, as you seem to think. It's not the only factor that should be considered, but it is definitely important.

i never said it was not irrelivant. just that it wasnt as important as you made it seem.

WC64
01-09-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its pretty obvious you didnt understand my post. the TO diffential was due MAINLY to these two factors:

Indy being way above average on offense, and opposing teams not being able to run the ball and having to play riskier football.

for further proof of this, see that INDY was second to the jets on NOT turning the ball over.

make sense now, donny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt this also be a factor in why the Colts defense gives up so many yards? That is why everyone says the defense isnt any good.

lil'
01-09-2005, 09:17 PM
This is just like last year, and everyone is saying the same things as last year. Last year, the Colts smacked the Broncos (a typical playoff 1 and out team for the last few years) around in the Wild Card round, and everyone was all, "Ooooh, Manning is on fire. Who can stand before him?" Then the Pats shut his team down.

Having said that, there are a few things that are different this year...

1) The Pats secondary is much weaker with Law and the underratted Tyrone Poole gone.
2) That stupid "Illegal Contact" penalty will be called a few times.
3) The Colts have two superstar type receivers now, and their 3rd receiver is pretty good too.
4) Richard Seymour may be hurt, but we don't know how much.
5) The Pats offense is much better with Dillon, and they can control the ball and clock better now.

Most of these changes favor the Colts, so normally I would go with them, but until I actually see Manning beat the Pats in Foxboro, I won't believe it. He has always struggled there since entering the league.

sublime
01-16-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And it's not supposed to snow Sunday. The streak ends here.

[/ QUOTE ]

u still awake?

daryn
01-16-2005, 08:25 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

gotta love that. how does that foot taste?