PDA

View Full Version : SnG Struggles...

legendary loser
01-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Recently I've been really struggling with SnGs. I've been playing online for over a year and I don't remember anything like this. I've gone 19 SnGs without winning and 7 SnGs without better than 3rd. My ITM is decent (43%), but my ROI is horrible (4.9%). My last 26 SnGs ($22):

1st - 2
2nd - 2
3rd - 7!!!!!
4th - 6
5th - 5
the rest spread out from 6-10.

I really don't know what the problem is. I seem to get to 4 or 3 handed play (blinds are usually 100-200) with a decent chip stack (T1500-T3000), but still seem to bust out in 4th or in the bubble. Apparently I have no problem getting to 4th or ITM, but I can't win. Are there any certain things I should look for on PT to see if I'm being overly aggressive etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 06:11 PM
This was me 2 days ago (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1501224)

1/1/9 for 28

but then yesterday i play another set, and:

7/5/2 for 26

net: 8/6/11 for 54

2-day ROI: 35%

My point: you are most likely just in a bad run of luck, and it will turn around, just keep plugging.

RedeemerKing
01-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Perhaps you are not a good shorthanded player. Look to take advantage of other players when there is a shortstack. If a person has 600 chips and you and another guy have around 2000 chips with 4 people left. If you move all in on the other guy with 2000 he wont call unless he has AA or KK because he knows if he folds he is just about a lock for at least third because of the guy with 600 chips. Just because you arent the shortsack with 4-5 people left doesnt mean you can stop being aggressive. Everytime you pick up the blinds it could increase your stack by as much as 25%

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you move all in on the other guy with 2000 he wont call unless he has AA or KK because he knows if he folds he is just about a lock for at least third because of the guy with 600 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he should call with other good hands. Especially if this isnt your first push. One, he SHOULD be calling you with QQ/AK, and two, many players are unwittingly playing well and doing this, jsut cause thir inherent looseness is now a good thing.

Secondly, he is nowhere NEAR a "lock". Not even freakin' close

Maybe YOU arent such a good shorthanded player

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Sorry, please strike that last sentence from the record. Didnt mean to be that harsh.

pooh74
01-09-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Recently I've been really struggling with SnGs. I've been playing online for over a year and I don't remember anything like this. I've gone 19 SnGs without winning and 7 SnGs without better than 3rd. My ITM is decent (43%), but my ROI is horrible (4.9%). My last 26 SnGs ($22):

1st - 2
2nd - 2
3rd - 7!!!!!
4th - 6
5th - 5
the rest spread out from 6-10.

I really don't know what the problem is. I seem to get to 4 or 3 handed play (blinds are usually 100-200) with a decent chip stack (T1500-T3000), but still seem to bust out in 4th or in the bubble. Apparently I have no problem getting to 4th or ITM, but I can't win. Are there any certain things I should look for on PT to see if I'm being overly aggressive etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be prepared for worse runs than this one...If you consider it a disaster to only be up 22 beans over a "bad" run of 26 SNGs, you're a lucky man. A great player could conceivably be out of the money over 20 or so...this is too small sample to make any wide sweeping conclusions.

ilya
01-09-2005, 07:14 PM
::yawn::

Texas Pete
01-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Try -10% ROI over 100 games.

WarDekar
01-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I consider myself a decent SNG player and I went 44 tourneys without a 1st during my most recent horrible streak.

dcoles11
01-09-2005, 07:37 PM
what does ROI stand for? Thanks

Ezcheeze
01-09-2005, 07:47 PM
"My point: you are most likely just in a bad run of luck, and it will turn around, just keep plugging. "

How do you tell someone this and sleep at night?? He only has 3 posts so I'm assuming you don't konw anything about him or his play. How can you tell him most likely hes having a bad run and should keep playing?? What if he has some serious mistake in his game and will just keep losing. You might be encouraging him to play much longer even while losing, giving him false hope that hes getting unlucky.

I'm not saying that he is in fact bad but it seems extremely foolish and dangerous to encourage someone you've never met.

To the original poster: This is such a small sample size it is essentially meainingless. You need to post some hands that you've played that you aren't sure about and seek advice from other poeple on this site.

-Ezcheeze

Ezcheeze
01-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Not trying to be harsh here but it is extremely likely you are in fact not a decent SNG player and have a serious leak in your game that greatly reduces your chance of getting first if you ever go 44 in a row without getting a first. Sure, if you play tens of thousands of sng's it will eventually happen to the best player, but if it ever happens probability dictates you should be worried.

-Ezcheeze

WarDekar
01-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Perhaps you are right, but I have over 1,000 SNGs with an ROI of close to 20%. I recently hit a massive losing streak (when the 44 took place), and I am almost positive I get worse during such losing streaks which contributed to the 44. It was a particularly rough time, but I think I'm through it now and am better because of it.

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 08:02 PM
lissen buddy. you have the right to attack me, but you will look like less of an asshat if you read the original post first.
[ QUOTE ]
Recently I've been really struggling with SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]
R-E-C-E-N-T-L-Y. This implies that he hasnt ALWAYS been struggling.
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing online for over a year and I don't remember anything like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. He has 3 posts. He clearly is new at poker. Do you base everyones poker experiance on how many posts they have made in a specific forum?
[ QUOTE ]
but my ROI is horrible (4.9%).

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone who is winning, but considers that to be not good results ("horrible" in fact) is, by my deductions, a winning player.

dcoles11
01-09-2005, 08:03 PM
what does ROI stand for? Thanks

Big Limpin'
01-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Return on investment.

It is expressed as a percentage of the buy-in for a tournament, that you can expect to win over and above the buy-in.

For instance, if you play $10+1 tournaments, and have a "ROI" of 30%, it means that for every $11 you put in, you expect to win back $14.30 in prizes.

dcoles11
01-09-2005, 08:28 PM
thanks I thought that was what it stood for but I wasn't a 100% sure, appreciate it

legendary loser
01-09-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How do you tell someone this and sleep at night?? He only has 3 posts so I'm assuming you don't konw anything about him or his play. How can you tell him most likely hes having a bad run and should keep playing?? What if he has some serious mistake in his game and will just keep losing. You might be encouraging him to play much longer even while losing, giving him false hope that hes getting unlucky.

To the original poster: This is such a small sample size it is essentially meainingless. You need to post some hands that you've played that you aren't sure about and seek advice from other poeple on this site.

-Ezcheeze

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your concern, and although I am new to this site, I am winning poker player. I only play up to $50 NL and $22 SnGs, but I have had a good deal of success w/ these games in the past. I started a new PT data base for the 2004 year and these are my results so far. Hopefully it's just a bad run.

Since you said I should post some specific hands. Here are a few I remember.

3 handed..I have T3500 on button. SB has 2000 and BB has 1500. Blinds are 200/400. I raise to 950 w/ A6 on button.

4 handed. Blinds are 150/300. I have T1200 in SB it's folded to me and I go all in w/ QJ.

4 handed. Blinds are 150/300. I have T1900 in CO. BB has 2400. SB has 1000. Button has 2700. I raise to T750 w/ K10.

Mons
01-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Whenever I go on a downswing (as I am now/a common theme among 2+2ers lately it seems) I try to play more during peak hours such as evenings and weekends. The games are much softer (at least at the $11s).

--
Mons

Mr_J
01-09-2005, 09:47 PM
return on investment. = profit/turnover. In an sng turnover is buyin+fee.

viennagreen
01-10-2005, 08:42 AM
A6 hand--- why not just go all in? there's no way you're folding if you're reraised, are you?

same with the KT hand--- you're in an all-in or fold situation... go all-in